Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my albino rosy for almost 3 years. In November I required complete reconstructive surgery on my ankle for the second time. Knowing how the recovery process would be, I asked a very close family friend to care for him/her for me (I still have yet to probe). When I she dropped him off to me today, she mentioned has had started to bite, but she also was very honest with me and said she hasn't been handling him much the last two weeks due to her pregnancy and in the middle of a move.

Planning on leaving him alone for a week or so to adjust, will obviously handle with gloves for about 5 min increments at a time.

Any other tips? Trying to break him of the aggressiveness. Was NEVER aggressive at any point prior. Worried it may not be able to be "fixed"? Help!

-a very concerned albino rosy owner

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
I strongly believe the whole 'not been handled, so is aggressive' is complete rubbish! I very rarely handle my snakes and they are all complete angels! If anything, snakes don't need to be handled and it could possibly lead to further stress.

I'd double check the husbandry, any big or small changes may be aiding her Aggression.

Im not clued up on this particular species, perhaps it's breeding season? I could be wrong on that one.

Reactions: zensunrise

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
In my opinion if your scared of an animal you shouldn't keep it as a pet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fear was never mentioned other than the fear of this not being reversible. I believe I am in the right to attempt to find a way to change this behavior considering it has never been an issue before. I appreciate your "opinion" but I'm looking for tips and advice to hopefully make him as comfortable as he was 3-4 months ago. If I was afraid of him, I wouldn't of brought him into my home 3 years ago and I wouldn't be looking into ways to help either.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
No offense mate but no snake shows aggression when they strike at you, it's either down to one of two things, feeding response/hunger or defence. People who use the term aggression get my back up, it " grinds my gears"

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Personally I'd be checking the thermal gradient/hot spot temps. Look for any obvious points of discomfort that may have occurred such as lesions or burns.

Going into shed? Can make a lot of snakes defensive.

What are you using to measure the temperatures?

Have you had it out of the viv?

I don't see why people are getting there back up regarding this tbh...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No offense mate but no snake shows aggression when they strike at you, it's either down to one of two things, feeding response/hunger or defence. People who use the term aggression get my back up, it " grinds my gears"
Hissing and striking is surely aggression no?

·
Registered
787 Posts
rosy boas

frankly I'm amazed it's never bitten before.
Rosies that i've kept/bred over the years are usually either bombproof or have a common kingsnake (getula) approach to being handled i.e fine for a while then try to eat your hand.
The exception being the limburg albino coastals, every albino rosy I've ever come across or handled has been a snappy, bitey little blighter!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had him since he was 6 weeks, he's only biten once but I don't honestly count it bc I would've bitten too in the situation. There are NO snakes in Ireland and I have a very large family over there. Came to visit and my younger cousin grabbed him out of my hands by the base of the tail and came up to nip him in the thumb after being "swung". Immediately let go and returned to my shoulder. Im more social with my snake than I've noticed some people on here seem to be. But again never had an issue. I haven't touched him since returning him to my home, I want to give him time to adjust. I'm going to double check the temperature when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've had him since he was 6 weeks, he's only biten once but I don't honestly count it bc I would've bitten too in the situation. There are NO snakes in Ireland and I have a very large family over there. Came to visit and my younger cousin grabbed him out of my hands by the base of the tail and came up to nip him in the thumb after being "swung". Immediately let go and returned to my shoulder. Im more social with my snake than I've noticed some people on here seem to be. But again never had an issue. I haven't touched him since returning him to my home, I want to give him time to adjust. I'm going to double check the temperature when I get home from work.
Using what to check temps though? Analogue thermometer? Digital? Laser thingy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was using a digital thermometer that later broke.I have an analog one for the time being that my family friend had from one of her set ups. Will be looking into new one this week. What's the best for my rosy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will look into infrared this week, thanks! Also, my mother stopped by my house today while I was at work, she was unaware of the aggression and immediately held him for what she told me was 10 minutes and she had no issues. Hoping this will continue. Any suggestions for when I should handle him next? Don't want to over do it.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I would define aggression as something that looks for a fight looks to hurt you not defends its own space the only way it possibly can I.e. The viv.
Hissing = an defensive way of a snake letting you know your too close or in its personal space.
Striking= not heeding the aforementioned warning, however striking can be due to a feeding response which is a completely different ball game, I have a Cali king that I could understand(but still not condone) someone calling aggressive because it is constantly in feeding mode and anything that moves is considered a food item which causes this snake to actively hunt out (follow,chase) anything it considers to be a food item which I understand could be mistaken for aggression. This is but my opinion if you have a better explanation feel free, I'm interested to know what other people think?
Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would define aggression as something that looks for a fight looks to hurt you not defends its own space the only way it possibly can I.e. The viv.
Hissing = an defensive way of a snake letting you know your too close or in its personal space.
Striking= not heeding the aforementioned warning, however striking can be due to a feeding response which is a completely different ball game, I have a Cali king that I could understand(but still not condone) someone calling aggressive because it is constantly in feeding mode and anything that moves is considered a food item which causes this snake to actively hunt out (follow,chase) anything it considers to be a food item which I understand could be mistaken for aggression. This is but my opinion if you have a better explanation feel free, I'm interested to know what other people think?
Cheers
Josh
I dont know really. I do see where your coming from with the feeding response, but i think aggressive is a pretty accurate way of describing a defensive snake that strikes out and bites personally. i was just curious as to your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Cheers
Josh
I agree with you. I am yet to meet a truly aggressive snake, or any other non human animal, snakes attack for two reasons out of defense and out of hunger. Neither of these are really aggression. To me aggression is more the purposeful seeking out of conflict for a motive other than feeding, a snake will always retreat if you give it the chance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts