Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi in april-june i will be setting up a leo setup as most of you know.but also want so other gecko set up. hopefully cresteds, or sand geckos. First what size, tank would sand gecks need, and how muchh do the gecks cost? also could i put green eyed geckos in a tank of either 60cm hich by 45 square or 50cm long and3ocm high?how many?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Sand geckos I assume you mean Stenos right? You can keep up to 4 in a 24x12" vivarium. Height doesn't matter because they can't climb. The geckos themselves tend to be fairly cheap but most are WC, and either way they aren't very easy to get hold of. They're easy to take care of, once set up in their vivarium they're great to just sit back and watch :lol: You don't usually have to worry about having more than one male either because they don't tend to be agressive but one will be dominant over the other though not to the highly agressive extent in some other geckos.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Do Sand geckos require UV Lighting?

I read:

A temperature range from 75F to 85F (24C to 29C) during the day seems to work well. A small hot spot that reaches between 95F and 100F (35C and 38C) should also be provided. At night the ambient temperature in the cage can fall to between 65F and 75F (18C and 24C). I find that incandescent light bulbs work best to achieve these temperatures, however heat pads or heat tape may also be used
On

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/dwarfsandgecko.html

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Some say yes, others say no. Personally I have seen my geckos out basking under their UV light very early on the mourning, occassionally just before it turns off so I'm inclined to say that they do need it, but others don't have them with UV. I use the 8.0 desert light with mine since they're a desert species.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
i dont use UV with mine, and havnt had any problems. There a great little gecko to sit and watch but are hard to get hold of with many being WC, though hopfuly i'll have some babies this year *yay*.

Spike

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
See, up to you to choose whether you use it or not :lol: I probably won't get an 8.0 next time, maybe a 5.0 but it gives a lot of light to their vivarium which will be the primary reason I'll continue to use them :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts