Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so now its not funny anymore hissy hasnt eaten for 3 weeks now every time i try he isnt interested well i tried him again about 20 mins ago and he nearly took my hand off i was really pleased well chuffed and sooooo relieved untill the big daft shit dropped it turned his back and i swear if he had hands he would of stuck two fingers up ive tried everything braining,boxing hissy, trying him with smaller prey i even tried wiggling the rat in front of him so that hissy would think its alive and i think i scared him cos he shot in his hide and wouldnt come out so now im stuck for ideas what do i do

G

·
3 weeks?
thats not a problem...dont worry
leave `a week` before even offering again...have minimal handeling and going into viv etc until eaten.
but really...dont worry

sometimes if they miss..or drop they wont try again....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
christ no! 3 weeks is nothing, many males go off their feed for 3 months over the winter breeding seaon

N

·
Registered
324 Posts
is he/she a royal? I have a very picky male that often have hunger strikes and he was a right pain. What i found useful with him was not offering him food for a fortnight (you coudl do this as 5 weeks for royals is nothin. And mate no worries, 3 weeks is not problem. It's when your snake goes past 2 months is when one should worry.) Anyway i don;t offer food inorder to encourage hunger for the snake. Then i try dipp the mouse into chicken broth inorder to scent the mouse. You can also scent with anoles and with fish which always works for me. You also try feeding it chicks but this is not adivisable for a diet as chicks do not offer nearly as much nutrients as rodents do. So if you feed him with a chick then slwoly wean him off and scent the mouse with the chiken broth. But definatly do not offer food for two weeks, that might seem cruel but it will hopefully make th snake eat and it has proved succesfull in the past for me.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he didnt miss he struck killed it (it was already dead f/t) and rolled around a few times then he just opened his mouth and let it drop then slithered away and im not being funny what so ever but 3 weeks is a problem to me personally i want him to eat every time hes offered (i know he wont hes a royal) im just terrified he gets sick again :( :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
mate 3 weeks for a royal is nothing to worry about, i've currently got a male not eating for now 6 weeks and im not worrying too much, he does this at this time of year for some reason... But he will eventually eat. Your snake won't starve itself so don't worry. Hey if keeping a royal you must get used to it, lol i bet you're more worried than the snake! Ah well just shows you care but honestly 3 weeks is nothing. Try what i said, and not offering food for the fortnight is highley important and please don't let kindness over ride it.

G

·
bbsf said:
he didnt miss he struck killed it (it was already dead f/t) and rolled around a few times then he just opened his mouth and let it drop then slithered away and im not being funny what so ever but 3 weeks is a problem to me personally i want him to eat every time hes offered (i know he wont hes a royal) im just terrified he gets sick again :( :(
if you keep offering too often...will probably put him right off his food.
seriously...leave it 1-2 weeks...dont ess with him/her too much in that time either.

not many royals do go an entire year without missing atleast one or 2 meals.

if he not gonna eat,he not gonna eat...not much you can do.
you could be streesing it out...and he could be defensive striking?
believe it or not...if they dont wanna feed or not ready they can actually be stressd out by being offered food

G

·
i got a male....until last week he properly ate last may!
he didnt loose much weight either....he ate the odd mouse..henan adult proven breeder.

i offered once every 2 weeks `ish` and offered last week and he had 2 rats since then

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so ill take your word for it i wont handle him (as much :D :D ) and ill let him go another 2 weeks thanks guys but you all know what its like they become part of the family they slither straight into our hearts im just a wee softie

G

·
bbsf said:
ok so ill take your word for it i wont handle him (as much :D :D ) and ill let him go another 2 weeks thanks guys but you all know what its like they become part of the family they slither straight into our hearts im just a wee softie
i know where your coming from...its hard...you will feel guilty...you`ll feel as if your neglecting lol
but has to be done occasionally
he/she will start eating soon enough for you...dont worry.
especially dont handle 2-3 days before you offer feeding.

also have you offered the food at a diffrent time to what you usually do?
sometimes they wont eat until night...most of ours dont actually.
but offer again in 1-2 weeks and when food in,cover the viv with a towel or something.

hope this helps
keep us upto date xxx

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
i have been told royals can go off food up to a year, and somethimes 1.5 years one and a half years? is that true?

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so you are not gonna believe this i went to take the rat out cos i didnt see ant point keeping it in if hes not interested and he bloody struck at it again hes now in the process of gobbling it YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH i dont believe the big daft sod thanks guys for all the info ill remember it for next time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
324 Posts
snakelover said:
i have been told royals can go off food up to a year, and somethimes 1.5 years one and a half years? is that true?
Well i have heard of a year-long hunger strike yes, but i think anything above that must be stretching into fiction... But it's possible i guess.

G

·
snakelover said:
yes they can believe it or not...god i couldnt got that long lol
i would intervine before that amount of time though

G

·
bbsf said:
ok so you are not gonna believe this i went to take the rat out cos i didnt see ant point keeping it in if hes not interested and he bloody struck at it again hes now in the process of gobbling it YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH i dont believe the big daft sod thanks guys for all the info ill remember it for next time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lol....there you go then.....thats excellent news...bet your happy now.
future reference though: dont worry its not unusual...quite normal in fact xxx

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what i want to know is why are royals fussy baby my b/r/b hasnt missed a feed yet (loooking around for wood to touch) and hissy the royal has missed a few

·
Registered
324 Posts
bbsf said:
:lol: terrific mate! Alls well that ends well i guess....

G

·
bbsf

How old is your royal and what would you estimate his weight at.I used to have a royal that would only feed once every 8 weeks.Not that i didnt offer the food it was the way he was.I also had a female that would eat once a month so if he is old enough and carrying anough weight i wouldnt worry to much about it.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok so heres hissy and as i think you can see hes a big fatty hes roughly around a year but im not sure as he was sick when i first got him but here he is

G

·
He looks to be in good shape so i wouldnt worry too much about him being of feed.What you might want to try is feeding every 14 days rather than every 7 untill he is back to feeding properly again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts