Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought about some larger, alternative food sources for my emperors. They're big - 7"+.

I've seen clips of them eating roaches and locusts. Any idea if this is safe, sensible and practical?

Any good online suppliers?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I've thought about some larger, alternative food sources for my emperors. They're big - 7"+.

I've seen clips of them eating roaches and locusts. Any idea if this is safe, sensible and practical?

Any good online suppliers?
I give my pregnant emps locusts. They love them, and it's very safe.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I tried a B.Dubia roach colony but everytime a roach went into any enclosure it would just burrow. My emp would never even see it, nor my spids. With locusts i find that they climb the walls and hang from the ceilings, so personally i stick with Crixs

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Any size, even the massive ones go down well.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean the ones which have grown wings? Is there any danger of them biting a scorpion?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
You could always remove certain parts of the locust before feeding ...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
large emps will eat anything small lizards, mice etc.....

a "trimmed" locust should be a good meal to.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
i wouldnt worry about the locusts biting the scorp. the only way any livefood can do damage to a T or a scorp is if its in shed really. Ive never bothered removing any part of livefood. they wouldnt get that luxury in the wild and they soon let you know if they dont really want the prey item.
Although preferance is key here. As long as you're happy and feel your Invert is safe thats what matters really.
Plus its fun seeing them tackle something bigger. :no1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts