Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Ive had my ocellated uromastyx for about 2 years now. I bought him from another owner i got in touch with through here.

I cannot handle him or be near him.
Anytime i get withing about 1 foot of his viv he scatters and hides.
Ive done all the tips and tricks in the book but this little guy just doesnt seem to like me!
When i got him i read its best to let him settle in and cover his viv front with a sheet so he doesnt get scared.

I tried going in and he ran away.

I then read to just leave him alone for a few months as he may be timid, still nothing.

Im not 100% bothere about holding him and i understand he might not want held atall.

Anyone got any ideas?

(awaiting the "just leave him alone" answers) :bash::Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Super Moderator
9,596 Posts
Im afraid some never tame down and after 2 years yours seems to be one that wont. Ocellated uros are more nervous and flighty than other uro species. So yes its a case of leave alone.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I am having the exact same issue, I have had my little guy for about 10months now and he is the same, I have handled him once but it involved chasing him round the viv and ended in me taking a bite. It was too stressful on him so I never bothered again. He is a great little guy and has gotten to the point he wont run when I am near the viv but the second I touch the door he is gone and back under his rock.

It is a shame really, when I bought him the breeder had such incredible animals that were jumping out the viv to get some food, but mine seems to be the complete opposite, and I dont mind having display animals as I keep chameleons that rarely get handled, but this little guy is never out on display, he hides 80% of the day and only comes out when I put food in then a quick bask and back to hiding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts