Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having second thoughts on whether or not I should get a bearded dragon because of my schedule and the fact that I live alone.

My typical work day is 8-5 and I will have to start doing night sifts soon too. I know that young beardies are meant to be fed twice a day with the heat lamp having to be on for at least one hour before feeding them as well as a couple of hours after feeding and that the lights shouldn't be on for more than 12 hours.

Does anyone else have a similar schedule? Should I just get a snake which only has to eat once or twice a week?

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
I think that the fact that you are questioning it means you probably already know the answer to be honest. I am not going to tell you that you would be right or wrong, however I believe that as keepers or even better prekeepers it is important that we question in this way.

whatever you decide I applaud your question

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I myself do changing shifts which include nights, fortunately i dont live alone and all my beardies are adults now, meaning they dont require as much attention in terms of feeding schedules.

I think perhaps getting a young beardie would not be the best choice, but perhaps look at rehoming an adult?

Adults wll require you putting in a good amount of mixed veggies/salad in the mornings and refreshing a water bowl, and then insects roughly every other day (80% veggies 20% live food).

You can then spend time with it as often as you are home and its still daytime.

Admittedly snakes need far far less attention but beardies tend to be more social with their keepers.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
well - snakes are indeed lower maintenance.

However if its a dragon you really want ... you may get a snake and end up with something you don't really like, which would be worse.

You could always consider rehoming an adult dragon (there are always loads) which eat less often and should eat more veggies. And you would be giving an unwanted animal a good home.

Isn't it possible to get timers for the heating/lighting etc??

Are you equally interested in snakes and lizards??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty dead set on a dragon, so you're right, I probably shouldn't "settle" for a snake.

I was really hoping to get a baby so I could watch it grow up and stuff, but ultimately, an adult is the more feasible option. The only thing I'm worried about when it comes to rehoming an animal is that I don't know how well it was taken care of before. What if it's sick when I get it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I just had an idea that may let me have a baby beardie.

If the lights stay on from 9am-9pm and I leave for work at 7:30, can I just put a dish of calci worms in the enclosure? The beardie can warm up when the lights come on and eat when it's ready. Then I can feed it roaches at night at around 6ish leaving enough time for it to digest its food before the lights turn off. and of course, veggies will be available throughout the day.

Is that feasible or should I just get an adult?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Okay, I just had an idea that may let me have a baby beardie.

If the lights stay on from 9am-9pm and I leave for work at 7:30, can I just put a dish of calci worms in the enclosure? The beardie can warm up when the lights come on and eat when it's ready. Then I can feed it roaches at night at around 6ish leaving enough time for it to digest its food before the lights turn off. and of course, veggies will be available throughout the day.

Is that feasible or should I just get an adult?
Hi, you can leave more than just calci worms in the enclosure during the day (small roaches, locusts). The lizard will emerge/retreat at it`s convenience throughout the day and as far as the heat/lighting`s concerned you can adjust it somewhat to suit yourself (as in leave it on 13 or 14 hours per day providing there are cooler/darker places to retreat to).
I find it strange that keepers want to decide how long these animals are allowed to be active or resting!? :2thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts