Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas what I would get if I bred my grey X everglades rat with my grey X yellow. obviously I would get 1/2 grey, 1/4 everglades, 1/4 yellow, but would it turn out anything interesting looking or just mixed up mutts?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
No idea what it might look like.... any chance of photos of the potential parents?

Probably blotchy brown snake, maybe with some lateral striping depending on how much effect the Everglades had on it.

Is there some specific goal you had in mind for a domesticated snake that this particular set of hybrids would achieve?

I can imagine, personally, trying to breed, say, a large-bodied enthusiastic feeder, generally grey in colour with the stripe pattern of a striped corn; this could be achieved by carefully selecting and crossing grey rats with striped anerythristic corns, keeping the likliest Grey Rat X Corn hybrid offspring and breeding them with the intent of getting something the size of a grey rat but the colour of a corn...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't realy have a specific goal no, I was just thinking about the potential breeding pairs I have, or could get, and thought it might prove interesting. also, would it actuly be classed as a hybrid, as the snakes are still the same species, just diferent sub species?
these are the two snakes:

everglades X (female)

Yellow X (male)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Insofar as it goes, I know they're different subspecies of P. obsoleta - but I'd still call that (and your two original animals) a hybrid. You'd be hardpressed to find a snake of that exact lineage in the wild :)

And yeah, looking at the two snakes, I think I'd stand by my initial impression... you'd probably get:

Brown North American Rat Snakes.

That said, I'd be interested to know what the offspring DID look like - and how readily they ate compared to, say, corn hatchlings. That Grey/Yellow hybrid is actually a very pretty animal - I like the proportioning of his head to his body.

That's something *I* would breed for :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Actually there are probably a few more of them in the wild than you would think. Yellow rats took over Everglades territory some thirty odd years ago due to man changing the environment to serve his purpose and now you would be hard pressed to find a "true" Everglades ratsnake. And seeing as the Greys and the Yellows share some of the same territory I am pretty sure they would naturally breed together sometimes.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts