Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should really quit as my chest and heart are really playing me up now i did it once before but it was a long time ago
i no you can get the patches but i cnt wear them as they irritate my skin and the gum is horrid and just makes me want to smoke more :?
so has anyone quit a different way and how easy was it for you?
manda xx

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
my girlfriend is quitting and she uses that inhaler. shes been off em for 5 days and doesnt want one. shes doing well,

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I smoke roll ups and have managed to halve what I smoke by making them shorter and shorter - I now smoke roll ups that are about 3cm long! I can't handle full size ones any more.

Another thing is just to have a cig in your mouth but don't actually light it - just "pretend" to smoke it. Helps a bit with the psychological side of things, initially at least.
When I was little my Nan used to always have a cigarette in her mouth but never saw her light one - I thought she'd gone mad but now I understand.

My plan is to slowly reduce what I smoke even more over then next couple of years and to have given up by the time I'm 35.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive i contine doing my heart in i prob wont get to 35!!! i dont smoke much but i smoke enough to do damage to my already bad heart and yes i shouldnt of started smoking in the first place but its been 7 years now (i was 13 when i started) and its a hard habit to kick
manda xx

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
get the flu, lol.
6 1/2 months ago i had the flu, had been saying i was stopping for ages(especially for the kids) couldnt smoke for the week i was ill, and so didnt start again once i was better, its been 6 1/2 months now and im on top of the owrld, just need to lose weight then i can be the mum i want to be and run around like a nutter with the kids, lol.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol the flu i cant get it ive had the flu jab!!!
ive got 8 fags in my pack left am going to quit after them thats it nomore im quite worried about putting weight on though as im quite skinny at the mo and i prefere it that way any tip also on how not to eat rubbish while quitting? i have loads of fruit and veg in the house and pasta which i normaly just snack on anyways!!!!
manda xx

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I still cant quit smoking.. said I would ages ago and quit for 3 days before going mad and smashing a hole through the cupboard door... I realised it was safer on everyone else for me to smoke again :lol: :lol: I found one of the best ways to stop smoking is find a really disgusting brand of ciggies and buy them... it will make you not want to smoke as they're so disgusting.. worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thats not a bad idea nny but dont wanna waste anymore money on fags i got my tattoo to pay 4 :D
manda xx

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Seriously... 1 pack will get you off of them... its like anything you dont like now... you have to put a disgusting thing to it so everytime you see it you think of the bad thing and don't want to touch them...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any tips on what brand as tbh most fags taste the same to me even cheap forgein ones
manda xx

·
Registered
333 Posts
I stopped smoking 18months ago. I got cancer, not a smoking related cancer but it was enough of a shock to make me realise what a ridiculous risk I was taking. If you want to stop you will. It's not a matter of whether its difficult or not, it's a matter of making a life altering decision. Also, it's not just about you, its about the people who care about you.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
See my one problem with quitting smoking is what will I do after?? Like when Im waiting for a train for 10 minutes... oh a ciggie.. got a 5 minute break .. oh a ciggie.. that kind of thing..

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Manda, I never smoked fags (although I've done many bad things in my life), and I think it's a disgusting habit. Even more annoying so, when you think that most people start smoking at young age just to impress classmates or feel more accepted in a group. Most people I know who stopped smoking, such as my grandad, my father and a dear uncle, stopped overnight with no help of any chemicals, purely because they've seen how awful it was to witness more than one person dying from lung cancer in our family, and they started developing symptoms that made them believe they were heading the same way.

For men it is even worse, because apart from various cancers and heart diseases, smoking is also one of the main causes of impotence and although young men don't seem to care less, when it hits you it's normally too late.

From what I heard, one of the most efficient ways to quit smoking is hypnosis, but you need to believe in this and find a very good professional. I have a friend who stopped smoking right after stepping out of a hypnosis session, and never lit a fag again. It will not only be a great thing for him health wise but financially it you take into consideration he used to smoke more than a pack a day.

If you don't believe in any of that and want to go for a chemical approach, there is a new drug in the market called Rimonabant which is believed to be the most effective weapon against tobacco addiction and has just been released into the market under the name of Acomplia.
If you wanna read more about it, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acomplia

It's not cheap I think it cost around £ 100.00 for a months treatment, and it's originally developed as a anti-obesity drug, so expect to lose wait as well.

If you decide to buy it, you'll have to google this name and you'll see loads of shops selling it online.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Dexter said:
Manda, I never smoked fags (although I've done many bad things in my life), and I think it's a disgusting habit. Even more annoying so, when you think that most people start smoking at young age just to impress classmates or feel more accepted in a group. Most people I know who stopped smoking, such as my grandad, my father and a dear uncle, stopped overnight with no help of any chemicals, purely because they've seen how awful it was to witness more than one person dying from lung cancer in our family, and they started developing symptoms that made them believe they were heading the same way.

For men it is even worse, because apart from various cancers and heart diseases, smoking is also one of the main causes of impotence and although young men don't seem to care less, when it hits you it's normally too late.

From what I heard, one of the most efficient ways to quit smoking is hypnosis, but you need to believe in this and find a very good professional. I have a friend who stopped smoking right after stepping out of a hypnosis session, and never lit a fag again. It will not only be a great thing for him health wise but financially it you take into consideration he used to smoke more than a pack a day.

If you don't believe in any of that and want to go for a chemical approach, there is a new drug in the market called Rimonabant which is believed to be the most effective weapon against tobacco addiction and has just been released into the market under the name of Acomplia.
If you wanna read more about it, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acomplia

It's not cheap I think it cost around £ 100.00 for a months treatment, and it's originally developed as a anti-obesity drug, so expect to lose wait as well.
If you decide to buy it, you'll have to google this name and you'll see loads of shops selling it online.

Good luck.
i might possibly try this for this reason, i was overweight before i stopped, thats what having kids will do to ya, lol, but now since i stopped im huge, lmao. i need to lose all the extra pounds. :D cheers dex.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
od rather not take any tablets mainly due to the fact im not allowed near tablets (long story) i have to be watched around paracetamol anyways hypnothis (cant spell today) is alot of money and it might not work id rather go with some other ways that dont invole me getting hocked on other stuff or wasting my money you have to remeber i only earn £50 a week currnetly so the less money it costs the happier i will be hehe
it will be harder in my house as we all smoke from my little sister to my dad all four of us plus my older sister and her hubby and 90% of my family
i would also like to note i dint start smoking at such a young age becasue i thought it was cool i did it because i could it was just avalible to me to buy so i did just one of those things i surpose
manda xx

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
One of those stupid things I suppose. If it's just because it was available to buy, you could be drinking gasoline or eating dog's shit ...

Based on what you said, I think it's more likely that you've started smoking because of so many people smoking in your home, then it's something that became normal for you.

My wife used to smoke, but she always hid from our boy and always denied she smoked. I doubt he will ever smoke because he finds it pointless and disgusting as well.

But for me, the best thing in your case is that you are aware and really wants to stop, that's the main thing. Since fags addiction is one of the worst there is, people reach a stage where they start making stupid excuses to back their addiction, and that's when things go wrong. At least you seem willing to try, and convinced that it would be a good thing for you, and that's what counts more when quitting any addiction.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I stopped last year after smoking all my adult life, after a friend contracted lung cancer.She was in her 30s and didn't last a year.Visit a cancer ward or a hospice for a couple of hours and you get what i call "the moment of enlightenment" i quit with no help on just will power and a positve mental attitude it wasn't hard.everytime i thought of smoking i just recalled a conversation i had with a lovely lady who was just about to tell her two young children that she was going to die and this helped no end.
My wife still smokes however!
if you really want to stop you will
Remember you are not "quitting" or "giving up " anything ,just stopping
simon

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I know what you mean, I lost a dear uncle from lung cancer 5 years ago, it's the worst death I can imagine, and it's definitely the worst cancer there is.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Ive decided now Im going to quit smoking when we move... so a few weeks time.. been trying to find a good reason.. and think thats a good enough excuse.. would stop now but with all the moving im getting stressed.. so probably not the best time.. My doctor gives you loads of free patches etc etc to stop you smoking... Ill go see him in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts