Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

right, my chameleon is doing well but i cant put my hand in the viv without him trying to bite me!

When i put my hand next to him to encourage him to climb onto it he goes for me and gets extremely stressed; turns very dark colour.

I feel as if hes becoming ill from all this stress i've caused him,

What are your opinions? :idea:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
if he doesn't like it i'd try to leave him alone. have you tried to handle him with a jumper on? mine won't go anywhere near my skin but if it's covered he'll climb straight on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not being funny and without any intention to cause offence, but are you washing your hands before you put one into the viv?

It might possibly be that he is smelling one of your other pets, and that is making him nervy - or he just doesn't like the smell of your soap!!! Try using an unperfumed soap and see if that makes any difference.

Oh, and poss go back to just having an unthreatening hand in the viv for a while until he gets used to the fact that you aren't going to pick him up, so that he can get his confidence back in you.

right, my chameleon is doing well but i cant put my hand in the viv without him trying to bite me!

When i put my hand next to him to encourage him to climb onto it he goes for me and gets extremely stressed; turns very dark colour.

What are your opinions? :idea:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
sounds like typical cham behaviour to be honest.
dont try and force a cham to go on you they dont like it.start with hand feeding first once you get him to hand feed without hissing then he will see you as a food source and not a threat.then hopefully he will climb on you of his own accord.as soon as i walk in the reptile shed both chams come tothe front for food,once they've eaten i may get a visit,my male loves climbing over me.especially my face lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
show him whos boss lol thats what i did to my tegu he used to be grump when trying to pick him up which that was about 6 month ago. now because i always show him whos boss and that im not there to hurt him he gets on easily.

but now he pulls a fast one on me which is by opening the glass door by him self and making his own way out lol

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
cant really compare the behaviour of a cham to the behaviour of a tegu.
totally different where it comes to handling

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, cheers for all ur views!

I will try these different things see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts