Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on making a living viv and wondered what reptiles or amphibians or inverts could live in it and the biggest in cage size I would go is 18x18x18 inches.

·
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.
1,376 Posts
Hiya!

If you can spare any more height it would be ok for a crestie, otherwise I think you'd be looking at inverts - which I know nothing about! remember you'll lose about 6inches to substrate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya!

If you can spare any more height it would be ok for a crestie, otherwise I think you'd be looking at inverts - which I know nothing about! remember you'll lose about 6inches to substrate.
K thanks but I don't want a creator I was thinking of a samller gecko or a frog salamnder or inverts

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you go to 18x18x24 quite a few species of smaller day geckos would be suitable either solitary or 1.1 pairs. have at look at places like phesulmafarm.com they tend to have quite a few in stock.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was planning on making a living viv and wondered what reptiles or amphibians or inverts could live in it and the biggest in cage size I would go is 18x18x18 inches.
by the time you've got a false bottom in there for drainage and planted it, theres honestly not a lot that would live in that. perhaps a very small lizard like a bark anole? i don't know how big they are fully grown but i always see small ones. gargoyle gecko would prob be OK. you could look up some very small frogs perhaps?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Check out Paroedura species, they are great little things with loads of character. That is actually the reason I have jumped on here today as I am looking to acquire some. For get all those saying a little more high and get a crested gecko, go for something smaller and more entertaining. There are plenty of smaller geckos out there for sale you just need to look.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I'm assuming its an exo tank, and as mentioned above by the time you have added a drainage layer and soil its going to reduce the height massively so you gonna have about 30cm height at the most

I would go inverts, I have my giant Asian mantis in a live planted 30cm cube

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You have loads of choice with a tank that size, the problem could be finding them though. You don't need to have a massive drainage layer either, none of my planted setups have them. As people have already said, paroedura and some phelsuma species would do well in that tank. Sphaerodactylus, saurodactylus, tropiocolotes, stenodactylus and some hemidactylus species. Why would you settle for a boring crestie when you have all of these to choose from ;)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just want to put it out there that most people recommend 2 foot x 1 foot for a Leopard Gecko which is a floor space of 288 sq inches. This guys viv will have a floor space of 324 sq inches which in my mind in bigger (I may be slightly retarded but I wasn't the last time I checked) and therefore should easily meet the needs of a small lizard or two. Also not all planted vivs need to be inhabited by an arboreal gecko never mind a Crestie or Gargoyle.

Back to the suggestions, have you thought about a Goni? I have my G. Lichtenfelderi in a planted set up and it is doing great. I'm also in the middle of finishing new planted vivs for everything I own including Leos and other desert species.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just want to put it out there that most people recommend 2 foot x 1 foot for a Leopard Gecko which is a floor space of 288 sq inches. This guys viv will have a floor space of 324 sq inches which in my mind in bigger (I may be slightly retarded but I wasn't the last time I checked) and therefore should easily meet the needs of a small lizard or two. Also not all planted vivs need to be inhabited by an arboreal gecko never mind a Crestie or Gargoyle.

Back to the suggestions, have you thought about a Goni? I have my G. Lichtenfelderi in a planted set up and it is doing great. I'm also in the middle of finishing new planted vivs for everything I own including Leos and other desert species.
You've said something I've been thinking for years... A LOT of people get there dimensions massively muddled on here... I'm pretty sure there would be a gaggle of people that wouldn't no that 18 inches is a foot and a half.

On topic, good recommendation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts