Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new royal, Rybs, for about 4 weeks now and, surprise surprise, she hasnt fed yet. She is about 2 1/2 years old and is supposed to be on an adult mouse a week. My other royal, Noggin, is about 9 months old and was really poorly when I had him. He is still on assist feeds and has only strike fed once since I got him in June. How long do you think I should leave Rybs before trying an assist feed. These are my first royals and I dont want to mess up and stress her out. :help:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
some royals are slowing down with their eating atm, mine is, she has only eaten twice since the first of november and refused four or five times, so long as shes doesnt lose weight she should be ok.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My royal is 2 1/2 years old, about 3ft long and has only eaten 1 adult mouse, once a month (on average) for several months, but is still putting on weight. Get some kitchen scales that weigh in 1g increments so that you can monitor their weight - you'll have a better idea of how they're doing than just relying on how they're looking.

What type of setups do you have them? If they're in vivs they may be more willing to feed if moved to plastic tub/storage box setups as they'll feel more secure.

Do you handle them much? Unless they feeding regularly and confidently then I'd say don't handle them at all, apart from a quick check over every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
my royal is nearly 2 yrs old and last year (around this time) she stopped feeding for a few months its the time of year cos now shes feeding fine but im sure it will slow down soon.dont assit feed unless she is loosing weight and dehydrating .assit feeding is the last resort!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldelpaso said:
Where did you get your new royal, Rybs from..?
Got her from Rodbaston in November.
mark67123 said:
What type of setups do you have them? If they're in vivs they may be more willing to feed if moved to plastic tub/storage box setups as they'll feel more secure.

Do you handle them much? Unless they feeding regularly and confidently then I'd say don't handle them at all, apart from a quick check over every couple of weeks.
She is in a 30 inch viv, but has lots of hides ( I dont often see her!). I usually try feeding her in a seperate tub as I do all my snakes, but have tried leaving the mouse in the viv overnight. As for handling, just a once a week check over since I had her.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The reason I asked where you got her from is that adult females don't often come up for sale, and when they do they're snapped up pretty quick. The exception to that is the large amount of WC individuals that are in knocking around at the moment which all came into the country a few months ago and have worked their way into a few shops around the UK, usually for sale at £85 or so... Are you sure yours is CB..?

Also what are the dimensions of the viv? Temps at either end?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldelpaso said:
The reason I asked where you got her from is that adult females don't often come up for sale, and when they do they're snapped up pretty quick. The exception to that is the large amount of WC individuals that are in knocking around at the moment which all came into the country a few months ago and have worked their way into a few shops around the UK, usually for sale at £85 or so... Are you sure yours is CB..?

Also what are the dimensions of the viv? Temps at either end?
Guy at Rodbaston said she was CB and he'd had her since she was little. Viv is 30 X 18,(will move her to a bigger one as she grows) as I said, lots of places to hide. Temps are 85 at hot end to 75 at cool end and she does move around from one hide to another to thermoregulate. I drop the temps about 8 degrees at night.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
try leaving her in the viv to feed her... also try superheating the head of the mouse...

have you tried a rat on her, or did the owner before say she was not a rat feeder?

which seller did she come from?

N

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I think your temps are too low. Royals need a higher temperature of about 82-84 cool end and 92-94 hot end. Best of luck with them :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
u tried a different coloured mouse? we had to change to black.royals tend not to recognise white mice as food.just an idea worked for us. :)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont know the name of the guy I got her from, Nerys. It was the first table in the second room at Rodbaston.
Will try all the tips I've been given and up my temps. Thanks everybody, and will let you know if/when it happens!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts