Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with interest all the debates of what is the best substrate for Beardies.

I'm still confused but i will garner my own experience and learn from that.

I have just changed from woodchip to play sand yesterday. The primary reason is purely cosmetic i confess. I like the look of sand, and seeing as the viv is in our bedroom, the woodchip stinks ! He is a good handfeeder and eats his veggies from a bowl so i'm minimising the risk of impaction as much as i can without changing again.

However, since i changed it the viv has become more humid. There is some light condensation on the glass and walls. Temps are ok .

Is this normal? Will the sand dry out ? (not that it was wet ) but i assume it has some natural dampness in the bag.

Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
The sand will dry out in a couple of days - as long as its not too humid he'll be fine. We change our beardies sand every few months, and the same thing happens - doesn't seem to bother them at all.

I know that there is some controversy about using sand, but as long as he's not a baby in my view sand should be fine.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
when that happens I leave the viv door open a tiny bit so some of the air can escape faster. Only while im there of course!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Cheers peeps. i can now go to work somewhat more relaxed : victory:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts