Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm planning to get a Beardie very soon as a baby, and have been looking into the stuff required. However, it's pretty confusing (or maybe I'm just thick..!). I want to give him/her the best life possiblem, so would appreciate some advice!

I planned on getting:

-4ft Vivarium, split in half while the dragon is young (under 9 months)

-Ceramic heater (I assume this is on a thermostat to regulate the viv temp? Placed in the 'hot' end of the tank?) and guard

-Basking light and reflector dome thingy onto a hot rock (again, in the hot side)

-UVA/B 10.0 48" strip light

-Use kitchen roll as substrate to start with, then use play sand via a seive

-Heater mat for night time (or can I get a special thermometer to set the heater bulb to a lower temp between certain hours?)

-Some branches etc. for him/her to climb on

Am i missing anything???

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
you dont need the heatmat with a ceramic. Just turn the ceramic down with the thermostat at night.

Other than that- sounds good! Dont forget food and water bowls though :2thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, was going to get a medium sized water bowl and a waxworm bowl. There's this funky remote operated vibrating feeding tray as well (oooer missus), that seems to make them become more keen on veg and salad as well. Was thinking of trying it....!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hi all!

I'm planning to get a Beardie very soon as a baby, and have been looking into the stuff required. However, it's pretty confusing (or maybe I'm just thick..!). I want to give him/her the best life possiblem, so would appreciate some advice!

I planned on getting:

-4ft Vivarium, split in half while the dragon is young (under 9 months)

-Ceramic heater (I assume this is on a thermostat to regulate the viv temp? Placed in the 'hot' end of the tank?) and guard

-Basking light and reflector dome thingy onto a hot rock (again, in the hot side)

-UVA/B 10.0 48" strip light

-Use kitchen roll as substrate to start with, then use play sand via a seive

-Heater mat for night time (or can I get a special thermometer to set the heater bulb to a lower temp between certain hours?)

-Some branches etc. for him/her to climb on

Am i missing anything???

Thanks very much!
Hi , they dont need a heat mat ....in the hot side all they need is an ordinary reflecting bulb if you are going to halve the viv then maybe a 40 watt, the dimmer stat probe will need to be placed in the cool end, you really dont need any other bulb apart from the uv...it sounds like you have done your homework but perhaps a little too enthusiastic...enthusiasim is fab ... I am sure you will get loads of advice and it may be mind boggling at first, if you talk to the right people you will get all the knowledge you need...:welcome:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yep, was going to get a medium sized water bowl and a waxworm bowl. There's this funky remote operated vibrating feeding tray as well (oooer missus), that seems to make them become more keen on veg and salad as well. Was thinking of trying it....!

Thanks!
I'm thinking of getting mine one of those! it might have to be his xmas pressie :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
** Edited **

I'd strongly recommend you put the stat probe in the cool end, especially with summer on the way. For reptiles that need a thermal gradient, it's there as a safety feature to make sure that there's always somewhere for them to cool down. There's a reason why reptile thermostats only go up to 92f; they weren't intended for controlling 110f basking spots!!

Have a read of this for a more thorough explanation:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/newbie-advice/124203-guide-thermostats.html

Nighttime heating isn't really required - they can quite happily drop down to 60-65f at night. If their temperatures stay too high (as tends to happen when people start using ceramics / heat mats), they can't drop their metabolic rate down at night. This could lead to several problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

So what should I look for when choosing one? I'm assuming things like alertness and colouring?

Also, I read somewhere about people using tiles as the substarte as this helps Beardies claws. Is that wise?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'd recommend a lightbulb rather than a ceramic; beardies come from a place where it's so bright you need sunglasses; if the only light source is the UV tube, it's going to be very dim...

I'd also strongly recommend you put the stat probe in the cool end, especially with summer on the way. For reptiles that need a thermal gradient, it's there as a safety feature to make sure that there's always somewhere for them to cool down. There's a reason why reptile thermostats only go up to 92f; they weren't intended for controlling 110f basking spots!!

Andy
He has a basking bulb listed andy :no1:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd recommend a lightbulb rather than a ceramic; beardies come from a place where it's so bright you need sunglasses; if the only light source is the UV tube, it's going to be very dim...

I'd also strongly recommend you put the stat probe in the cool end, especially with summer on the way. For reptiles that need a thermal gradient, it's there as a safety feature to make sure that there's always somewhere for them to cool down. There's a reason why reptile thermostats only go up to 92f; they weren't intended for controlling 110f basking spots!!

Nighttime heating isn't really required - they can quite happily drop down to 60-65f at night. If their temperatures stay too high (as tends to happen when people start using ceramics / heat mats), they can't drop their metabolic rate down at night. This could lead to several problems.
Thanks! Just so I'm clear though - did you mean lightbulb instead of the strip light?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Thanks! Just so I'm clear though - did you mean lightbulb instead of the strip light?
No I mis-read what you'd put - apologies...

I'd recommend using a striplight for UV, and a lightbulb for heating / lighting. You don't need ceramics / heatmats etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK - but would just the lightbulb produce enough heat?? At night, my house is not very warm normally so would need to think of a way to monitor and regulate that as well...

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
yeah a lightbulb produces enough heat:) and i thought the same about my house, i left my lightbulb in and put it on the stat at 70F and it hasnt came on one night yet:D it can drop to 60F though and your beardie will be happy:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
A handy thread im thinking of getting a dragon. They look like interesting animals to keep. Bored of fish want something new, need to do lots of research first so any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
The right wattage of bulb would easily give you enough heat. I use 60Ws to heat 4' x 2's, and you can get bulbs of a much higher wattage than that... I've played around with a 500W (I think...?) chick-rearing bulb before and you could easily make a basking spot several feet across with one!

How cold is "not warm usually"...? They can tolerate nighttime drops down to 60-65f, which is pretty cold! If you're concerned, a heatmat / ceramic on a stat set to 65f (no higher) could be used just in case - that way if temperatures did plummet, it would always keep the temperature at 65f. You don't really want it to be warmer than 70-75 at night for them though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm.... To be honest, and I am not saying you're wrong or anything, I think i would feel a bit more comfortable with a strip light, a basking light, and the ceramic heater on a stat. Stick the probe in the cool end, so if the light doesn't heat it up enough, the heater kicks in.

Really appreciate the advice though! :2thumb:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
then they wouldnt be on long enough...wouldnt be much of a basking spot really, a heat bulb is fine!! EVERYONE uses them without a ceramic and have done for years and have brought up lots and lots of healthy beardies that live for more than 10 years:) honestly though, they do heat it up enough

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Like Andy Hades Dragons says they really dont need any night time heating... Houses rarely get cold enough for them too need night time heat. We when we got ours at first had a reptile radiator but it never came on so dont waste your money on things you dont need lol.

Liz

1 - 20 of 40 Posts