Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Unfortunately that will be it for the moment. I need to cut a couple of pieces of wood for the top and bottom fascia's, buy the runners and hunt down some decent fake plants.

Hopefully, these things will happen very soon!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Much appreciated. :2thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow! Thats some nice painting there mate! :no1:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok,

So a few more bits arrived and I've done a bit more work on it!

Firstly I placed the lid on top of the viv and drew aound the rock to give an idea of where I can and can't place the radiator.

Then I turned it over and fixed the radiator and guard in place.

I also attached the LED strips. Really impressed with these, really bright. I know it look like I cut one short, but it is actually three strips, two stuck together and a third single. The double one was too long so I cut it down slightly.

Turned over and with the LEDs on (don't worry about the gap - the fascia isn't yet screwed in, it's just balanced for now!)

Now for a coat of varnish in order to seal the paint and make it water resistant in case I want to use it in the future for more humid loving species.

Then disaster!

Having used the ronseal before on a number of builds I was very surprised when this happened!

:censor::censor::censor:

I initially thought the paint had run into the varnish and spread and that caused the froth. It would be fair to say that at this point I thought it was time to get the black paint out to start over!

Fortunately though, as it dried, it started to 'recover'

Phew!

The varnish does give it a slightly 'smoothed' look that some people wouldn't like on a rock background. It kinda looks more like a resin cast now rather than the raw roughness of the grout and paint, but for this build, I think the ability to clean and lightly spray the background will give me more flexibility and is therefore an acceptable reduction of realism.

Now it's just a second coat of varnish, screw the lid on, order the glass and then plants and substrate.

Then I've got to decide what's going in it!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
when putting the varnish on if you sprinkle on just a little bit of of sand it takes the shinyness of the varnish away and works quite well :)

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK, I think we're there!

Broke out the 'non-branded dremel' to make groove for the LED wires and the rep radiator wire

Then screwed on the lid

Added runners and decor and moved it to its new home!

And pride of place!

Just gotta decide what to put in it now!

:blush::blush::blush:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very very nice any hints or tips to someone that wants to try this?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Yep - follow this or any of the other builds on here (ch4dg is a particular expert and tomcannons, and Thrasops recent threads show excellent builds too!).

Keep a hoover handy and don't be afraid to ask questions on here - lots of experts!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
OK, I think we're there!

Broke out the 'non-branded dremel' to make groove for the LED wires and the rep radiator wire

Then screwed on the lid

Added runners and decor and moved it to its new home!

And pride of place!

Just gotta decide what to put in it now!

:blush::blush::blush:
That is awesome! A beautiful setup.
I would love to know what ends up going in there, p.s whats in those other tanks? I am curious, or maybe just nebby:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is awesome! A beautiful setup.
I would love to know what ends up going in there, p.s whats in those other tanks? I am curious, or maybe just nebby:Na_Na_Na_Na:
Thanks mate.

From left to right

young crestie, millipedes and a Hemidactylus sp that came in in a box of handbags and ended up in our possession through a quirk of fate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Done an amazing job here, been thinking of doing a background for my aussies with a basking ledge over their pond & you've made a perfect step by step guide! So many thanks for this but my question is actually about the radiator, what power is it & does it kick out a reasonable amount of heat? Any help would be great!

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Done an amazing job here, been thinking of doing a background for my aussies with a basking ledge over their pond & you've made a perfect step by step guide! So many thanks for this but my question is actually about the radiator, what power is it & does it kick out a reasonable amount of heat? Any help would be great!

To be honest mate, I've no idea! I bought it second hand and I haven't actually had it on in the viv yet! I just tested it after I'd bought it and that was it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To be honest mate, I've no idea! I bought it second hand and I haven't actually had it on in the viv yet! I just tested it after I'd bought it and that was it.
cheers anyway, after digging through a few more posts on here I believe I've found a guy who can help me out! Good luck picking what to go in your viv,i started my shopping list last night to start mine so pics to follow!:2thumb:

·
Registered
505 Posts
To my shame I am only just catching up on things here. So this is the first time I have seen this rock work thread. Very impressive. I like the painting. And especially the green touches. Looks very good. I might not have put quite so much tank décor in front of the rockwork, I wouldn't want to hide the masterpiece, but I think you have achieved your goal of creating realistic looking rock. The water based varnish that you used tends to go on very milky and then dry, as you say, with a certain effect. Only potential problem I have found with this one, however, is that when it gets very wet it can get sticky again and revert to milkiness a little. I try to use a solvent based varnish whenever possible.
As you say, lots of very good build threads here but yours must be up there with the best of them. :notworthy:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts