Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidently came across this gruesome one last night, and although its gonna be a controversial method, it works even for hatchling snakes who have refused live feeding.

One of my heavily pregnant female mice escaped last night and was killed by my cat.....and gruesome though it sounds, i cut the unborn babies out (waste not want not) and offered them (i`m getting desperate with some of my non feeders who have been surviving on force feeds)
They took them! Birth sac and all.:sick:

I`d recommend it only if all other methods have been used and failed etc, but culling a pregnant mouse and using fetuses seems to get them going...assuming you have a good few female mice.:2thumb:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well as you say ....waste not want not!!!!

Hope that gets them started feeding cos it would be a shame to have to do that every feed!
Just out of gruesome interest were the babys still alive??

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think thats the most gross method yet but anything is worth a try, my royal was refusing feed and would only every other month i warmed the mouse up with boiling water one day with out thinking and the belly of the mouse burst totally gross (gasses in side the belly built up) but any way i gave it to her as it was still quite warm not hot anouth to do any harm to the snake but she ate it every since then done the same thing and now she feeds every week even in shed

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the babies were dead, but it must have been something about the smell of the birth sac or something that drove them nuts!

Agreed wouldn`t like to do it everytime, but i`m just please they`ve eaten on there own without being forced. Maybe they`ll take live next, then work down to fresh kill etc.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Wonder would it work with frozen fetuses. Often the extra large mice you get are ex breeders, and some have obviously been culled while pregnant. Defrost mouse, cut open and harvest frozen fetuses. It would be worth trying, especially for those of us who havent access to live mice. I'll certainly give that a try next year with any non feeders I have.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
I suppose it's lucky mice have lots of babies as otherwise you would have to kill multiple females!! I think it's good that they did not go to waste and that even though the female mouse died, it saved lives by doing it.:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
ewww i dont think i could do that. I have live fed before with one of mine (when i had no choice) but cutting unborn fetuses out of animals i dont think i have the stomach for. It makes me wretch when i have to brain a mouse or the worst was a chick i gave to one of mine as a treat, Chopped its beak and feet off with a pair of scissors :sick: ... didnt bloody eat it either!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wonder would it work with frozen fetuses. Often the extra large mice you get are ex breeders, and some have obviously been culled while pregnant. Defrost mouse, cut open and harvest frozen fetuses. It would be worth trying, especially for those of us who havent access to live mice. I'll certainly give that a try next year with any non feeders I have.
Defo worth a try, got loads of frozen large mice, some huge females who must be pregnant. Thing is if you know where to cut to get to them, and make a nice clean cut, the female would also be feedable!

Gotta try that one! good idea grannykins. I wouldn`t have thought of that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts