Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on the best way of heating wooden vivariums?

I've got a heat mat and i've set it to 32 degrees C and it seems to be struggling to get it to this temperature, i'm worried that its not warm enough for my leo's in there.

Any ideas?

x

·
Registered
49 Posts
have you considered a ahs unit i use them there expensive but in the long run there cheaper to run than mats ect they last longer and there easy to use but shop around cos some stores really bump up the prices

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would fuly agree with the use of an AHS unit, I have about 8 running at the moment and they are the best heaters I have used, they are as mentioned more expensive but will last for a lot longer than other heat sources, in fact I have got one of the original units which is over 8 years old now.

Obviously they are more suited to larger vivs but I have used them in 30" vivs with no problem. What size viv are you looking to heat?

Hope this helps,

Mike.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My heat mat is inside the viv but under a substrate.

I havn't thought about using a... Ahs? I don't even know what it is!? Lol Sorry.

But they are better? I might look into it.

THANK YOU!

x

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I've got a heat mat and i've set it to 32 degrees C and it seems to be struggling to get it to this temperature,
try upping your stat , but continue to monitor your thermometer .
it may be that your probe is too close to the mat to heat the viv properly.
or your mat maybe too small ?
personally i prefer ceramics but mats can be ok too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My heat mat is inside the viv but under a substrate.

I havn't thought about using a... Ahs? I don't even know what it is!? Lol Sorry.

But they are better? I might look into it.

THANK YOU!

x
a ahs is a well kinda mini heater they come in different wattage for different size viv's and have a thermostat on the end of a cable on the actual unit is a dial that you set to temp you put the theromstat half way across the viv and it cuts out when the temp you set is reached.
they sit inside the viv on the wall but near the top there outer does not get hot so no risk of burning.because of where the thermastat is you get a good temp variation.over the years ive used so many different heating systems from mats/strips to ceramic bulbs ect i would never now use anything else there foolproof and use much less electricty than most other methods.
on average i pay about £100 for my ahs's sounds shocking but as snakedude said they last a long time as long as your not bolshey with them i think my longest lasting one was 9 years and apart from basking(if thats needed) they are the only system you need so theres no messing around with loads of different cables and stuff they look neat and tidy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts