Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, another question for those more experienced than me! a bit of a long one so bear with me!
my 15 month old BCI is in an exoterra viv, 18x18x24, which it is nearly outgrown. it has a CHE on the top, and the screen is covered over to help hold the humidity and heat.
i use orchid bark mixed with some steralised soil to hold humidity.
i just moved house last week, and where before, she would happily sit out most of the time either in the water dish or basking near the lamp, she now spends all her time in the hide which is filled with damp moss.
she is eating well, and has shed since moving. the room she is in now is a lot bigger and has more going on, and its been harder to keep the temps up, hence covering the top. ambient temp is around 78c, and humidity is now around 60% with the top covered.
ive just put a heatmat underneath to try and raise the temp a little, but it seems to be struggling to get through the substrate. should i put it on the side?
she is still docile as ever and doesnt strike when handled, eats straight away, and toilets regularly. she did have a few mites preshed, but since shed the whole lot has been cleaned and replaced, and she has been sprayed, and i havent seen any reappear yet.
it just seems strange that she is always in the hide now, is it likely to be down to the move, and she is just a bit nervous about the new surroundings, or could there be more to it?
many thanks
dan

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
hi, another question for those more experienced than me! a bit of a long one so bear with me!
my 15 month old BCI is in an exoterra viv, 18x18x24, which it is nearly outgrown. it has a CHE on the top, and the screen is covered over to help hold the humidity and heat.
i use orchid bark mixed with some steralised soil to hold humidity.
i just moved house last week, and where before, she would happily sit out most of the time either in the water dish or basking near the lamp, she now spends all her time in the hide which is filled with damp moss.
she is eating well, and has shed since moving. the room she is in now is a lot bigger and has more going on, and its been harder to keep the temps up, hence covering the top. ambient temp is around 78c, and humidity is now around 60% with the top covered.
ive just put a heatmat underneath to try and raise the temp a little, but it seems to be struggling to get through the substrate. should i put it on the side?
she is still docile as ever and doesnt strike when handled, eats straight away, and toilets regularly. she did have a few mites preshed, but since shed the whole lot has been cleaned and replaced, and she has been sprayed, and i havent seen any reappear yet.
it just seems strange that she is always in the hide now, is it likely to be down to the move, and she is just a bit nervous about the new surroundings, or could there be more to it?
many thanks
dan
She is probably still getting used to her new surroundings, give it another week and if she still isn't active try checking things over again.

BCI's don't need a great level of humidity so not sure why you have the damp hide unless its just during sheds?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put the moss in for the shed last week, but left it in there as she was all of a sudden spending all her time in there, where she didnt before. maybe just a coincidence?
dan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, my boa is still staying put in the hide on the cool side. humidity levels have gone back down to 55-60% and the damp moss is no longer in the hide.
she has shed and is eating regularly, and is still docile when handled, but she will not come out of the hide.
when i put her back in the viv, she goes onto the branch, but then goes straight back to the hide. before i moved, she used to cruise about all the time, and sit under the CHE after eating, or soak in the water bowl, but i havent seen her do this once since the move.
there are no mites, and no visual or audible sign of a RI.
is this normal behaviour or should i be getting concerned that there is something unusual going on?
cheers
dan

·
Registered
237 Posts
umm maybe its still getting used to the new place? Or maybe it prefers to come out when the temp changes, like at night and you just dont egt to see it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought that, but it seems such a change from how she was. i just dont like the idea of her constantly being too cold.
id have thought that just under 3 weeks would have been enough to settle down, when i got her, she was only in the hide for a day and then she was out and about.
i could be worrying about nothing here, i just dont want her to be ill or stressed and me not do anything about it.
dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts