Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Question for the forum on Antaresia.

Am looking to get some 'Spotties' and wondered if there were any distinguishing features to look out for.

Want to avoid hybridised. No desire to covet high end/rarity.

I like the versions with distinct spotting, so less keen on childreni if they lose the patterning.

I have seen similar looking pythons sold as Childrens, and Stimsons (mis labelled?).

I have seen some massive variation in pricing.

I gather Stimsons less likely to be in the mix but people have crossed Childreni and maculosa?

Any distinguishing features between Cape York spotties and standard spotties, other than locality claim/price?

Any pointers appreciated,

Andy

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Hey all,

Question for the forum on Antaresia.

Am looking to get some 'Spotties' and wondered if there were any distinguishing features to look out for.

Want to avoid hybridised. No desire to covet high end/rarity.

I like the versions with distinct spotting, so less keen on childreni if they lose the patterning.

I have seen similar looking pythons sold as Childrens, and Stimsons (mis labelled?).

I have seen some massive variation in pricing.

I gather Stimsons less likely to be in the mix but people have crossed Childreni and maculosa?

Any distinguishing features between Cape York spotties and standard spotties, other than locality claim/price?

Any pointers appreciated,

Andy
I miss Antaresia :(

I used to keep spotteds, Wonderful species of snake & I've been so tempted to get one again!

This is going back a few years now but I looked in to breeding spotteds and also wanted to make sure my maculosa were pure and not hybridised. From what I remember, people advised it's difficult to be sure they have never been cross bred as the gene pool is so muddied from people mixing childreni with maculosa. There was a useful chart which showed the scalation count of spotteds, childrens, stimsons, anthills and hybrids etc - I'll try dig it out for you but can't promise i'll find it as it was such a long time ago :(

Spotteds do generally keep there spots into adulthood and they get much larger than children pythons but the problem is they all seem to look so similar as hatchlings!

I highly recommend registering on an Australian forum & seeking out there advice, they will definitely be able to advise and help you to distinguish between the different species (please share the info with us too, i'm curious lol)

Reactions: Swindinian

·
Registered
129 Posts
I keep both childreni and maculosa, spotted are larger and have vaguely irregular markings which stand out from the background colour. Childrens have a more muted pattern and a slightly reddish colour. Side by side they are chalk and cheese. I will try to put up a few photos later after work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Roseanna & Danl, appreciate the input :)

Looking forward to hopefully get some very soon.

Can anyone suggest good Oz forums to join?

I get the impression many people gravitate towards BookFace; alas I am not a big fan, so am missing out most probably.

As Aussie breeding is pretty much separated from European breeding (not sure how long ago they had the export ban?) could we have created a different mess of hybrids/integrates from Aussie captive stock?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was hoping to take a few side by side but 3 of my animals are in deep shed plus the daylight is just about gone by the time I'm home from work. So here are a couple of pictures from earlier in the summer, not the best but I think they demonstrate the differences well enough. Also the loreal scales are often cited as a distinguishing character, difficult to see from the angle but my male childrens' below has 8 and the male spotted below has 5, same for my females of both. Both are lovely species, I personally find the spotted to be a bit more lively and quicker to respond to food. I have seen the odd hybrid for sale but usually they stand out as too big for childreni and the patterning being sort of like a muted spotted, this is adults though.

I haven't seen a genuine stimsons for years, large blotch python is a another name for them and it does suit them well. The blotches are larger and more regular than spotted's and they have a sort of white stripe on the sides from the neck down. They are more similar to childrens' in terms of size too.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I did get some Ants in the end (Antaresia, not Anthill!)

Started with a pair from John (Shaw?) from Romsey.

Started out biting and pooping on initial inspection/collection.
But calmed down quickly, and were quite handleable for a while.

Then, my son threw a dirty sock at me and it spooked the female as it bounced near her 🤬. There after she was more defensive and I was bitten a couple of times, constricted a couple, but now seems to be mellowing again.
Named this girl ‘Bramble‘, after her prickly spell, she is lovely 🥰

Water Helmet Wood Fence Grass

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reptile Scaled reptile Wood Terrestrial animal Snake

This is Willow. Produced by Tom Middlebrook, tho I got her from Tariq the vet. She is nervous, flighty, doesn’t like being handled, but never bites. Initially drop feeding only, she is now enthusiastic about taking from tongs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is Holly. Produced by Derren Woodruff. Holly is a spicy madam and has bitten and constricted me a fair few times. She once held me for 40 minutes, before finally reconsidering her ambitions. I have tried hook training with her, and I think she has accepted that not all interactions are meal related. 😂
I love the plucky attitude of the Ants, but so far in my small group, it seemed to be 2 females which tried to be most assertive.
Motor vehicle Hood Luggage and bags Bag Automotive exterior

Metal Fashion accessory Wire Carbon Glass

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Bird Automotive tire Wood Gas Plant

Holly’s pastimes include smearing her excretions across all possible surfaces! Perhaps Picasso might have been apt.
They are an active species, and whilst acknowledging an upgrade from quarantine to 3 foot viv is overdue (and this could reduce likelihood of her tracing through her poop), I like to think she does it deliberately 🤭

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a soft spot for this sibling of Bramble. He reminded me of a European adder with the bright orange eyes, so as a leap, I named him Baldrick 😳
He is inquisitive and gentle (except during meal time).

Food Ingredient Artifact Wood Tree

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It may not show in the photo, but he damaged his scales and soft tissue around his head.
He tried to push through a poorly cut vent hole. Entirely my fault, which I felt v bad about; endeavour not to be repeated!
Fortunately, he did not sustain any infection, he later shed and seems to have recovered.
I did observe what looked like blood clot stains on the shed skin, and actual skin not fully covered by the new scales.
Eye Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

1 - 20 of 37 Posts