Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ive recently joined the forum and have posted about getting a new Leo Geko however i was wondering if there was anyone who shared an intrest in Ant keeping as i do.
I currently have a Lasius Niger queen in a test tube set up, had her for about half a year, she had a rough start as she lost her first set of three workers to a drowning in honey incident :/, however she seems unfazed by this and has continued to lay more eggs which im hoping will hatch somtime soon.
I know its a wierd pet to have and i usually get a lot of wierd looks when i mention it to people but anyone shares the same intrest as me i would love to know.

Kind Regards
Beany

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hello!

Sorry to hear the first set of workers didn't make it very far.

I don't own ants however, I think they are fascinating! Would love to keep a small colony. Possibly one day..

Have you joined any of the ant keeping groups on facebook??

Good luck with the new eggs !

2,181 Posts
Although I don't keep any ants at the moment I have kept several different species - mostly Leaf Cutters - in the past.

I have been promised my own 'man cave' once we move house in a year or two's time so expect substantial myrmecology madness to ensue. :2thumb:

Reactions: beany

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello!

Sorry to hear the first set of workers didn't make it very far.

I don't own ants however, I think they are fascinating! Would love to keep a small colony. Possibly one day..

Have you joined any of the ant keeping groups on facebook??

Good luck with the new eggs !
no ive not thought of looking of facebook thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I don't keep any ants at the moment I have kept several different species - mostly Leaf Cutters - in the past.

I have been promised my own 'man cave' once we move house in a year or two's time so expect substantial myrmecology madness to ensue. :2thumb:
nice id love to keep leaf cutters, bu they take up a lot of space, and yer im lucky to already have a 'man cave', the missus wasnt to pleased about having ants in the house but she's ok with them now.:2thumb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I currently have a 5 queen messor aciculatus colony, 2 queen polyrhachis dives colony, pheidole pallidula colony, solenopsis geminata colony and my prized oecophylla smaragdina Australian variant.

I highly recommend checking out antkit.uk and their forum. Also check out anthouse.es for free queens you just have to pay about €8 shipping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have a 5 queen messor aciculatus colony, 2 queen polyrhachis dives colony, pheidole pallidula colony, solenopsis geminata colony and my prized oecophylla smaragdina Australian variant.

I highly recommend checking out antkit.uk and their forum. Also check out anthouse.es for free queens you just have to pay about €8 shipping.
Wow that a lot of colonies, id love to have the space for more eventually, and thanks for the advice on were to get the queens from ive used ant kit before to get a set up from which i was lucky as it was just before they had the fire that destroyed a lot of thier stock. many thanks for the advice and keep up the mrymacology. :2thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beany is your l.niger colony in hibernation atm?
she was in hibernation but has recently come out, i think i might have taken her out a bit to early, she doesnt appear stressed by the fact she came out early though she hasnt ate any of her eggs and is still tenfding to them so hopfully she should be ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As it's the first year hibernation is not so important but to prolong life and productivity in the queen it's highly recommended to hibernate next year.
yer im definatly going to hibernate them next year, to be honest i got them at the wrong time of year and its my first attempt at ant keeping and i didnt realise the importance of hibernating or the patience needed when starting a new colony.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The good thing is Lasius are pretty tough when it comes to stress!

Like I said hibernating the first year isn't soo important so I wouldn't worry too much.

Can you post a pic of your setup please.

Cheers, Veektoor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.