Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a species of ant that has different castes (polymorphism) and is relatively easy to care for.

Thanks, Viktor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2,037 Posts
Provided you have the space and a constant food supply what about Acromyrmex sp. aka Leaf Cutter Ants?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to but I think they are too advanced for me right now!

2,037 Posts
Their set up can be as simple as a fish tank with a glass lid, two islands (one for the nest and one for the feeding table) and an aquarium heater - just add water and a bridge between the two islands (the ant colony and food) and bingo. Little bit more too it but not much.

You will have to get creative once the colony gets larger but by that time you will have gained some experience about how to look after them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure I could justify giving up a whole room just for ants to my GF lol

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Welcome. Not sure if they have different castes but they are relatively unchallenging to keep.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i currently keep messor aciculatus, pheidole pallidula and oecophylla smaragdina. The best place to gets ants in the uk is antkit.uk. Just for anyone that's curious Lasius niger/flavus are not polymorphic.

Cheers, V.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Yeah i currently keep messor aciculatus, pheidole pallidula and oecophylla smaragdina. The best place to gets ants in the uk is antkit.uk. Just for anyone that's curious Lasius niger/flavus are not polymorphic.

Cheers, V.
Thanks for that site. Already had a nosy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most temperate species are going into hibernation now but I'd have a look at what takes your fancy and research then in the spring more should become available.

Cheers, V.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Most temperate species are going into hibernation now but I'd have a look at what takes your fancy and research then in the spring more should become available.

Cheers, V.
No, I don't want to buy any. I just like having a nosy. My version of window shopping.

Reactions: veektooru

·
Registered
11,665 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basin while your here just wondered if I could ask a favour, I'd really like a tattoo of a giant centipede and wondered if you had any pics you wouldn't mind me using. I want it to look 3D so if you have any with a clear shadow that would be awesome.

Thanks, V.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
That'd look really smart.

All the pics I've took are on here. And out of those non are good enough but feel free. Google Images would be your best bet though. You should get some stunning pics on there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I looked on Google but there wasn't anything with good shadows on there if you know what I mean :s

If I get time il upload the black widow in my neck.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Thanks, I looked on Google but there wasn't anything with good shadows on there if you know what I mean :s

If I get time il upload the black widow in my neck.

This has shadow.

Anyway back to ants.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts