Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I got a little Giant African Land Snail, named him Minos.. <3

We just had a full day of traveling with train, planes and car, I finally got him home and put up his enclousure. :jump: Although he did seemed a bit stressed, had his head tucked in, but once he saw the bowl of food (lettuce, apples, nectarine, watermelon) he got really excited.. So, I decided to leave him alone for a bit..

I had a hard time going to sleep without checking on him, then he was all the way inside his shell, still sitting in his food bowl..

I thought he just needed to rest, moved him inside the coconut hut and turned off the lights in the room.. When I checked again, his poop was white.. Wondering if this might be a result of stress? As we have been traveling all day.. I put him under some luke-warm running water and he quickly became active again.. So I feel like I can safely go to sleep..

However, he did not want to go down into the substrate and would rather climb further up on my hand..

Feel like I need to double-check my current set-up.. I still need a spray-bottle and I've seen pictures of people putting moss in the hides? I also want to get some pebbles for his water, so I can fill it up more and he seem eager to climb, so I was thinking of finding and boiling some wood from outside..

It's a 4 liter terrarium, currently standing in my bathroom, as it is the most humid and warm room of my house.. I put it on a small stool, so it's not directly on the heated floor.. Considering moving it to my room, but I need to clean it.. :whistling2: I washed all of it before using it..

Mostly just anxious about whether or not I'm doing this right.. I am a little comfortable with my research, but keep double-checking everything, just to make sure.. Feel like I should ask someone with more experience, if they set-up looks alright..

Thanks and good night!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thought I'd reply as no one else had, looks good I take it that's calcium in the other bowl, I keep my setup a bit wetter and they seem to like it, you can buy a snail mix of food that you mix into a paste on eBay they seem to love that, also when I put water in the water bowl in mine they're all over it, the two pictures I've attached are probably less than a year apart of my two so you have that to look forward to and good luck haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, I have some issues keepimg the humidity up, but it's currently at 77%.. I will get a spray bottle tomorrow..

Yes, the small bowl have calcium.. It's pieces of cuttlebones that I got from the pet shop and I figured it would be alright, as it's still a pretty small snail..

I thought it seemed too hot and he's not very active.. Only when I put him under running water.. I places him inside the hide and turned the lights off, but he haven't moved.. And since the bathroom might be too warm for him and I couldn't keep up the humidity, I moved him to my room..

Now it's 19°C and now I'm worried it's too cold, but at least the humidity is better.. I didn't get a heat mat, because I wanted to see if I could do without it.. What temperature do you keep yours in? I can't find out how to open your attached pictures, but thank so you much for replying!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I keep mine room temp and the substrate is usually moist but not swampy, yeah they have really strong mouthparts and will just scrape off what the want so the cuttlefish is good, they're a lot more hardy than you think, too cold Is better than too hot as they'll just slow a bit in the cold (unless it's extreme) if he's not happy he will just seal himself in his shell but a little bath will get him out, you might be overworring which is sweet haha but they are fairly hardy, they're fun animals and my niece absolutely loves mine,oh and I have no heat mat or any heat source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! They look beautiful, I love the patterns!

He still haven't moved or eaten anything all night and I know they are more active during the night.. Is it normal for them to just not do anything?

And yeah, I have a habit of overthinking.. ^-^''

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some sticks to him yesterday and I'm about to boil some rocks and pebbles for his waterdish and stuff.. I also got some shells and was wondering if I could put them in as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume so.. But I think I could somehow get them less sharp, once I have the time..

This is it, so far.. ^-^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soo.. Almost to my surprise, my shell-baby is still alive.. xP And he's doing great and growing.. This week I've been sick, so I'll get him a real nice treat today, as I am getting better..

As I am a big fan of things that require little to no effort, I also have a few succulent plants and I was thinking of re-growing some of them.. Then the thought struck me, if the snail could eat succlent plants? I can't find anything online and I'd love to be sure, before trying it out..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts