Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi .Could someone tell me why my beardie is like this??. Tape is temp fix
Could specify exactly what you mean with this or what you find unusual? Just to be clear.

If you're looking for an explanation why he's sitting like that, it's mostly likely the way you've setup up his basking spot. Right now he's trying to maximize the surface area of his body that is exposed to the light. That's why he is holding such an awkward pose. Since the light is mostly hitting the back wall he has to put his head against the wall to proper thermoregulate. This is a fairly unnatural; most lizards general pick a spot with clear sightlines to spot predators.

I wouldn't hang the basking spot so low and at an angle. Your animal is very likely to look straight into the light while basking or moving around. I've seen animal developing irritated eyes this way. Imagine staring at the low hanging sun the entire day.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Id go a step farther and say that position is related to that being the position it needs to be in so that the light isnt shining in its eyes. Note that the eye you see is in the shadow of the brow ridge in that position.

Reactions: colinm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lamp should point straight down, I'm not sure why you'd want to angle the light at all.
If it's not angled then the lamp is to to close to his basking ledge. Plus I don't think I would be able to get his cool side at about 30 degrees. What do I do.buy a smaller lamp or drill a big hole in top of Viv and place it on the out side. Need help guys please

·
Registered
900 Posts
How big is the terrarium? The minimal recommended size for a bearded dragon is 4x2x2, which should leave more than enough room to allow the bulb to point down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I measured it and the viv is about 3.7 by 1.5 by 1.5. I will get her a new Viv.im not sure what to use them for a basking ledge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts