Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,

Over the past couple of days i have notice that out of 16 babies, one is not eating and looks thin. I suspect it's propbably the runt of the littler but now i'm trying to save the little fella.

I checked inside his mouth and his gums are very pale and he does really have any body fat on him. I've used a clean seringe and crushed up a large cricket and sucked up it's juices in the seringe and fed him that way with some added Repton. I then used the seringe to give him some water to flush down his meal.

Is there anything i can give him to encourage him to eat? and give him more energy.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
theres meant to be a product u can get tobathe them in that soaks up into the rep and encourages appetite but i dont know what its called :(

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to add:

The babies are over 2 weeks old and i've already tried to feed him on his own in a tub, but he's not having anything.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I was bjust thinking that! Cant for the life of me remember its name...
You could try adding some nutrobal to his crickets, apart from that it is probably just going to be a long process of assist feeding.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
(oops didn't read that you've already tried keeping him on his own)

i think what your doing gives him the most positive chance of surviving

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
ok i found something u might want to try. its called Sera activ plus R and u can add it to water or bathe the reptile in it an its meant to stimulate appetite. It can be bought in aquatic stores so dont have to go to the vet to get it prescribed. It can probably be boguht online somewhere.

The product i recall being mentioned i think was prescribed at a vets so u'd need to get the babies checked up for that.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try 'hydro life' it aids in the treatment of shock, dehydration, starvation and exhaustion. Its working for one of the babies i'm looking after.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
we tried that, i didnt think it was that good to be honest, didnt get charlie eating anyway :(

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Charlie was probably too poorly when we brought him home. I used it on spindle in the early days of owning him and It got his appetite going. :D

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your replies guys, He seems a bit more lively this morning as yesterday he was quite sleepy. I will keep seringe feeding him and i might just try the Hydro-life and see how that goes. If that does'nt really work then i'll try the critical care formula.

Again this morning, i've seringe fed him the guts of a large cricket and washed it down with water mixed with calcium. The good thing is he's not being sick and bringing up his food.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update!!

I have just put the little guy in a tub again with 5 crickets and he ate one!! i also managed to open his mouth and fed him another 4 crixs and washed it down with water. I'm hoping that he will start to eat and also i must grab some Hydro-life As i notice when feeding the others that he was interested but just watched so he must be hungry but does'nt have the energy.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
rather than washing his food down with water, try electrolites, this will give him added energy and possibly the urge to go hunting, i have done this to a couple of babies before and it gives them a real rush, you could also help his natural gut fauna by giving him very small amounts of natural live yogurt, good luck either way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts