Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got an anery corn/rat, she's a bit dim... definately got a rat snake temper. She seems to think she's anything but a corn snake. She sits on her log as if she's a green tree python, and when we feed her, instead of striking and coiling her food, or just eating it. She tags it as if she's expecting it to run off and die... but we feed her on defrosted mice. What the heck is goin on in her head? Can anyone come up with a logical explaination?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Its mental! :lol2:

Some snakes are just weird but as long as they are happy and feeding it don't matter... Do you have enough hides for it??

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
She strikes but doesn't eat it straight away to try to get rid of it.

That sort of strike is a defensive mechanism.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah she's not new, had her for a while. she has more than enough hides to keep her happy. maybe she's just weird...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
sounds like shes playing with it to me, but some rat snakes are mimics so maybe she is mimicing a species, to me she sounds like shes mental too..... lol

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I would be inclined to agree with reticulatus. I've got 2 Blue Beauties and a Radiated Ratsnake and they all strike at the food in a defensive manner if they are startled or in any other way stressed or frightened.

They tend to prefer me to leave it in their viv for them to eat when they are ready, although sometimes that doesn't even work.

How old is the snake?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well she's a june 05. and she still strikes her food in that way when i leave it in her viv, she sits there and strikes it a couple of times, then she just slithers up to it all calm and cool and eats it. i swear she thinks she's poisonous lol stupid little Rhani

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
well she's a june 05. and she still strikes her food in that way when i leave it in her viv, she sits there and strikes it a couple of times, then she just slithers up to it all calm and cool and eats it. i swear she thinks she's poisonous lol stupid little Rhani
In that case it is almost definately a defensive strike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some snakes are just weird but as long as they are happy and feeding it don't matter...
I am the proud owner of a very confused but happy nelsons...he's frequently seen out amd about at midday, he hardly evers burrows and he loves climbing...he even does the hanging-down-from-the-tree-s-shape-thingy..its so funny you can almost hear him saying "fear me I am the all mighty tree snake!"
its his quirks that make him so adorable!:flrt:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts