Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never kept a lizard, just snakes, so can you guys give me any recommedations for what to get as a first lizard?

I've moved my snakes to wooden viv's, so have a 3ft glass tank (36 x 12 x 15 LWH) spare. It has a well secured lid with a sliding glass top, and heat bulb all rigged up and ready to go. Back wall is covered with a desert background.

So are these suitable for lizards? I will, or course, do full research into any species recommended before purchasing one. Just want a goo dplace to start.

So what can I fit in here, full adult size, that is suitable for a lizard beginner experienced with snakes? In general, can you house lizards in pairs / groups, as I always intend to eventualy breed any animal I keep?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
most people will either say leopard geckos or bearded dragons...personally i would go with leos but then i have never owned a beardie so i'm biased!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Glass tanks are sooo hard to heat correctly I find!

Lizard wise though get what you want to get! Don't get put off by the you must get a, b or c because you've not kept one before. As long as your willing to learn and put the effort in!

In a tank that size though I reckon you could get a decent colony of geckos! Leos, creasties, Gargoyle etc....

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
if geckos..make sure they are not arboreal before purchasing..things like cresties need a vertical orientated viv..

you could alternatively go for some skinks:

berbers
fire skinks
broad heads
occellated skinks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
get a baby beardie - they are fantastic little creatures! adorable, and full of character.

or a few little leo's. i never used to like them, but totally fell in love with them after i got my first 4.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would say leopard geckos that is what i started with, but you have keept snakes so i would say your options are open! i have never keept a snake but i would assume they work along the same lines of lizards, referring to there temp etc.. I keep my leo in a clear seal tank, with a background, sounds a bit like the one you have. I keep my leos sepratly but they are very young so i am keeping my eye on them. Some people say you can keep them together and some say you cant. I personally think you can keep them together, as long as they are happy sharing their living quarters with each other and that no one is being bullied it should be fine. If you are planning on keeping 2 maybe you could see if you could get a pair that allready share the same tank. that way i guess they will be used to each..

Dont know if i have been much help, :lol2:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
if geckos..make sure they are not arboreal before purchasing..things like cresties need a vertical orientated viv..
You reckon? *here we go again lol

I think because of the length of the viv you would get away with 3-4 creasties no problems... Yes they are arboreal but there is plenty of space up top to roam around if set up right???

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Depends on what your looking for out of have a lizard. I have Leos and a Beardie, you'll have more one on one interaction during the day with a Beardie were as the leos are nocturnal and will take a lot more time and patiance from you to enable you to handle them.

Also think about how often your around during the day or even do you have to travel due to a job or similar, this may affect which rep is best for you.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
You reckon? *here we go again lol

I think because of the length of the viv you would get away with 3-4 creasties no problems... Yes they are arboreal but there is plenty of space up top to roam around if set up right???
oh dear!!:lol2: yeah i reckon! personal opinion but 15" is not tall enough for cresties...the tank is more suited to something that likes to spend more time on the ground when active..would wanna give 24" to cresties. 9" can make a lot of difference!! lol :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
9" can make a lot of difference!! lol :)
I don't believe you! :lol2:

Given its length I do think you can put enough trees, branches and vines in there to keep a creastie more than happy.... There heating requirements are no problem either. In fact my rooms are to warm! lol

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
:lol2:

what whole trees!!? little tiny ones!?:lol2:

sorry!!! couldn't resist..

have seen cresties in show tanks 48x12x18 so it can work..personally i would just like em to have a bit more height..sorry, it's one of the downsides of having so many chameleons!!!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I don't believe you! :lol2:

Given its length I do think you can put enough trees, branches and vines in there to keep a creastie more than happy....

I agree.

Too many people get caught up in the confusion here. Just because something is arboreal doesnt mean it needs a tall viv.
You don't see arboreal snake keepers with their snakes in 8ft tall vivs now do you.

The trick is to have enough space in the viv that you can arrange supports (ie plants, sticks, tubes etc etc) in an abundant fashion so as to ensure that thermoregulation is possible.

You could certainly keep a crestie in a 12 inch tall viv, as long as there is plenty of room for movement in heat zones in a horizontal fashion.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assumed it wasn't big enough for an adult Beardie?

I've never had trouble heating for my snake, but a corn needs more room really. It's more the fact that I have a tank available, and there are no snakes on my 'list' that it is suitable for (Except possibly garter snakes), so wondered what type of lizard I could get in there.

At the end of the day, if no-one suggests something I fancy, I'll put the tank on ebay. If research uncovers a bigger species of lizard I like, I'll build a custom viv for this, or one of the snake species I want.

I like the idea of a colony of small lizards. It's 15 inches high, is that high enough for smaller aboreal lizards?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I agree.

Too many people get caught up in the confusion here. Just because something is arboreal doesnt mean it needs a tall viv.
You don't see arboreal snake keepers with their snakes in 8ft tall vivs now do you.

The trick is to have enough space in the viv that you can arrange supports (ie plants, sticks, tubes etc etc) in an abundant fashion so as to ensure that thermoregulation is possible.

You could certainly keep a crestie in a 12 inch tall viv, as long as there is plenty of room for movement in heat zones in a horizontal fashion.
not about thermo regulation..how do you know where the heat source is!!? cresties like to go to the top in the search for food...would be like me having my chams in a viv that is horizontally orientated!? yeah they would survive and be ok but that extra height makes them happier...is more natural to them...

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
could u just put the viv higher up?

:)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
not about thermo regulation..how do you know where the heat source is!!? cresties like to go to the top in the search for food...would be like me having my chams in a viv that is horizontally orientated!? yeah they would survive and be ok but that extra height makes them happier...is more natural to them...
I dissagree, again.

I was going to edit my last post to include chams but didnt actually think i'd need to.

Obviously with a bigger cham you'd need more than 12 inches but if you put the size differences to the same my point would still apply.

The source of the heat is the only reason to thin about the orientation of the viv IMO which is why i added it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dissagree, again.

I was going to edit my last post to include chams but didnt actually think i'd need to.

Obviously with a bigger cham you'd need more than 12 inches but if you put the size differences to the same my point would still apply.

The source of the heat is the only reason to thin about the orientation of the viv IMO which is why i added it.
one thing i know if i know nothing else is chameleons...
there is no way that you could keep a cham in a viv that did not have sufficient height no matter how long it is!!
they use the whole height of their vivs and chameleons kept in long viv will spend time walking on the floor out of stress...i am not saying they would not live but they will not be in optimum condition if kept in that environment...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts