Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These both have two channels so I thought the new higher spec stats could be good value for money.

Has anyone had any problems?

It's for a Jackson Chameleon initially but I would be interested to hear how people find using both channels on different vivs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use EVO's on up to 6 viv's at once (much cheaper than buying multiple standard dimmer stats) - the only problem I've had is one of them the screen stopped working after a couple of weeks so its had to go back - the store I deal with work direct with Microclimate and their returns policy is quite frankly SHOCKING! The unit was 2 weeks old, it went wrong in early August and it still isn't back....! Also being fair I do have 8 of them and that's the only one that's developed a fault - I just would have hoped in a device that's 2 weeks old it was a straight swap, the store in question have lent me one of their units for now so I'm still up and running. (Mini rant over!) - slight aside - if you do decide to get one PM me and I'll tell you where to go that don't work direct with Microclimate, but who work with a broker in the middle so if you do get any problems it will just be a straight swap out ;-) (still the same price as Microclimate fix them)

The EVO units themselves are fantastic - easy to use, and they do just work. The only rule for multiple vivs is they need to be identical size and either identical or very similar setups to get the benefit and for them to work properly e.g. don't set one up on a 30x30x30cm enclusure and another on a 100x100x100 and expect the same result (I know someone who did that and was surprised that it didn't work....... :-S)

I've not tried the pro units as I use a Mistking System so don't worry about humidity sensor, it's an added expense I don't need.

The way mine are setup is the yellow channel acts as a dimmer stat (only one channel can do dimmer on the standard unit) and every tank has an identical dome light with identical wattage heat bulb (domes are in approx the same place on each tank) and the blue channel is used for other lights - UVB, Jungle dawns etc. I am about to run 5 new tanks in and am trying one of the new EVO Lites as well - the new 5 are direclty above 6 others, but are a different size, so the EVO lite is going to run the heat bulbs, the other lights will be run into an existing EVO that already has the 'blue' channel setup.

I like that you can setup multiple timings on them as well - on mine the lights come on in the morning, then about an hour later the heat bulbs come on (and the reverse in the evening), it simulates the natural environment I feel as the day warms up and cools down. When it comes to dropping the temp for a winter cool down its nice and easy as well - no fiddling with dials or knobs or anything, just take it down half a degree every couple of days and reduce the time that the lights are on by 15 mins or so :)

I've not tried the iStat pulse so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nathenb for a great review!

All sounds like bad luck as far as the fault of concerned but I hope you get your replacement soon.

I must admit, I'm currently leaning more heavily towards the Microclimate Evo. It seems to have been presented more aesthetically too which I think can matter.

I'll probably be ordering today or tomorrow but has anyone got much to say on iStat?

Anyone used both stats under consideration?

Cheers!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I use the Microclimate Evo on my vivs.

They're really functional and you can even program to state the name of the viv / reptile being controlled on the screen.

I love them. My only criticism is that the wire to the probe could do with being a bit longer.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had a faulty EVO.

The shop I got mine from straight swapped it. The experience above sounds more like the shops policy than Microclimate because I had none of that hassle?

Once I got a working one I was very pleased :)

Side note - Running 6 vivs on one stat....asking for trouble. Very bad practice. Cutting corners to save costs ultimately may cost one or many of your reptiles life.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Evo is definitely a superior stat to some others.

I used to use Habistat digistats but had two units that failed and one that nearly caught fire.

What would be good is if Microclimate could bring out a stat that connected via wifi to you home network so you could control it remotely:2thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased Evo Lite love but the clock is late 1min every 24h. This can be annoying to change it every now and then.
Has anyone have same problem?!
I tried to reset it but still late.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
I have just purchased Evo Lite love but the clock is late 1min every 24h. This can be annoying to change it every now and then.
Has anyone have same problem?!
I tried to reset it but still late.
Whilst relevant in context, this is a 5 year old post so might be worth asking the moderators to split it, or start a new thread ?

losing around half an hour a month doesn't sound right - might be worth contacting the retailer as the unit would seem faulty

·
Registered
267 Posts
Whilst relevant in context, this is a 5 year old post so might be worth asking the moderators to split it, or start a new thread ?

losing around half an hour a month doesn't sound right - might be worth contacting the retailer as the unit would seem faulty
I know this is an old post, so I'm only commenting as it's a recent issue & I had the exact same problems with my Evo Lites when I switched to them.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't touch any Microclimate product as I had a very bad experience with my Evo Lite, nearly causing a fire in my vivs because it had spiked & sent the temp up to over 120 degrees F. Melted my plastic viv & could of killed my snake if I hadn't of spotted it. Microclimate didn't want to know & blamed my setup. You can see my full review here.....

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
The main deciding factors of why I designed and built my own thermostats was because of the issues raised here - I use digital sensors, if the device doesn't receive data when it polls a probe it sounds an alarm and shuts off the power to the heater. If the temperature exceeds the max or min thresholds the alarm sounds and the heater is switched off for that enclosure. Why so many manufactures don't build these basic safety features in their devices, especially when it could cause a house fire is beyond me. - The only commercial thermostats I've used in the past are Habistat.

I guess the moral of this story is make sure you have a tested and working smoke alarm in your snake room.

·
Registered
Leopard lesser
37 Posts
The main deciding factors of why I designed and built my own thermostats was because of the issues raised here - I use digital sensors, if the device doesn't receive data when it polls a probe it sounds an alarm and shuts off the power to the heater. If the temperature exceeds the max or min thresholds the alarm sounds and the heater is switched off for that enclosure. Why so many manufactures don't build these basic safety features in their devices, especially when it could cause a house fire is beyond me. - The only commercial thermostats I've used in the past are Habistat.

I guess the moral of this story is make sure you have a tested and working smoke alarm in your snake room.
Have you done a post on building your own? this is something that could be very helpful I had to change from the heat mat because my snake got burned it turns out my habistat probe or thermostat wasnt working and caused this had their been a simple alarm system I'd have known right away my snake wouldn't have burrowed under my viv exotic glass mat protector which im guessing the mat turned off then on without a cut off temp at night as the mat spiked really hot he was on it,
This is the exact info this place should have front and centre malc I'm sure alot of people would be interested in reading or watching a video. I would never use habistat again since my issue I've read loads of horror stories and a simple alarm system would prevent most.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Yes, the build, and the reasons why I never turned it into a commercial product are well documented in the forum, form the original 4x pulse proportional controller designed in 2009 through to the latest design that has 8x pulse proportional stats in one unit (some of the older images are no longer visible as the website where they were hosted is no longer held)

Here's the current variation - this one is designed to run the 8 shelve hatchling rack and the incubator. The unit downstairs that looks after the six display vivs just has the single TFT screen on the right.

Development in reverse order

Expanding the 4x arduino unit to 8x

Migrating the PIC based project to Arduino

Original PIC based project in 2009

·
Registered
Leopard lesser
37 Posts
Yes, the build, and the reasons why I never turned it into a commercial product are well documented in the forum, form the original 4x pulse proportional controller designed in 2009 through to the latest design that has 8x pulse proportional stats in one unit (some of the older images are no longer visible as the website where they were hosted is no longer held)

Here's the current variation - this one is designed to run the 8 shelve hatchling rack and the incubator. The unit downstairs that looks after the six display vivs just has the single TFT screen on the right.

Development in reverse order

Expanding the 4x arduino unit to 8x

Migrating the PIC based project to Arduino

Original PIC based project in 2009
I will go though the links later when I can give them the attention I feel they deserve, my only question right now would be you mentioned commercial in your post does that mean you're open to building and selling these onto people? I'd always be interested in having a hardware that can take on new vivs or snakes as I grow the collection without the whole rigging of things I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say anyway PM me I'd it's something you would consider doing and selling onto to people. Cheers I certainly with dive into to it all later when I have my note book and pen handy

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
my only question right now would be you mentioned commercial in your post does that mean you're open to building and selling these onto people? I
Nope - the opposite !

I've covered it in the posts, but basically under EU and UK laws all items have to be CE marked. In order to CE mark a product it's down to the individual or company to have products tested to set standards. These test cost £6-£7k each and this product would need three test. Basically the initial outlay would be £25-£30k in order to safely market the product. Otherwise I could be jailed if it was proven that my product had caused a fire, injury to animals or person's, or loss of life and I get taken to court.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.