Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not bred kings before, and decided to introduce my pair this evening....I waited with a bit of nervousness (worried they may try to eat each other lol) the male bit the female defensively once and caused no damage, and after that they just cruised around wanting to get away from each other! they were not brumated, but was assured this is not essential with calis, the female did shrug the male off when he happened to slide over her, and did a tiny bit of twitching...but that was it....does anyone have any tips on getting them in the mood for love?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have not bred kings before, and decided to introduce my pair this evening....I waited with a bit of nervousness (worried they may try to eat each other lol) the male bit the female defensively once and caused no damage, and after that they just cruised around wanting to get away from each other! they were not brumated, but was assured this is not essential with calis, the female did shrug the male off when he happened to slide over her, and did a tiny bit of twitching...but that was it....does anyone have any tips on getting them in the mood for love?
Neil1978 will be able to help you Ian. If he or anybody else doesn't reply to the thread, drop him a PM.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neil1978 will be able to help you Ian. If he or anybody else doesn't reply to the thread, drop him a PM.
thanks, and yeah Neil was my first thought, and I know he will be of great help (hoping he will post on the thread)...but its always nice to get a few varied opinions....and to do it in a thread may help others who have encountered problems getting their cali`s to breed.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hi Ian

Just put them in together, you will see within the first few minutes if any mating activity will occur, normally male will twitch, and bomb around he might bite her and hold on - some can be very aggressive but with no harm done to female.
I put mine in and check on them every so often - once settled together i leave mine in together for 24/36 hours then separate and repeated in a few days time

hope this helps

·
Registered
821 Posts
i put mine in together wached them for 10 minits and then left them for 2 weeks together just cheking evry day as u would with any snake and then seperated to feed once a week, after 2 weeks i seperated them for a week and then bk together for another week and now the females about to drop eggs

·
Registered
788 Posts
cali's

I used to breed from a few pairs of cali's and sonoran deserts.
Always brumated mine, on introduction they were all usually locked up within a couple minutes!

Brumation may not be essential for breeding them but it sure seems to help synchronise their reproductive cycles.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I used to breed from a few pairs of cali's and sonoran deserts.
Always brumated mine, on introduction they were all usually locked up within a couple minutes!

Brumation may not be essential for breeding them but it sure seems to help synchronise their reproductive cycles.
I always did this too and never had problems; cali's respond very well to brumation. I would add that I kept my adults as pairs on a permanent basis (feeding aside). As they were brumated together they were perfectly in sync and mating usually started after the female's first shed when they were warmed up in spring.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all for the advie, I will keep on with the introductions...my male is quite an oldish chap (not sure on exact age though) and as far as I am aware has never bred, the female is supposedly proven...if I have no success this year though I shall brummate them, hope I do get some success this year though....was really looking forward to some little baby calis! :no1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts