Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody.
just to clear this up, if a mod feels this needs to be moved, so be it, but triops are aquarium animals, but are also inverts :/
does anybody keep this weird things? are they worth buying one of those kits and putting them in a proper tank?
thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I used to keep them, and tried recently to keep them again but for some reason they didn't amount to much.

I currently have a 1ft cube aquarium in the office which has about 50 hydra and 1000's of Daphnia and Ostracods in it. There were supposed to be Triops, but the egg sachet seemed to have everything but in it.

I find the tanks you get supplied with the kits a total waste of plastic for the most part. Far too small for adults - however, they are useful for rearing larvae until they get visible to the naked eye (to about 5mm or so).

I got triops to get pretty big last I had them by giving about 2-4ltr per specimen. Thus, a 20ltr tank is a good start. I just had a small filter, some plants and an airstone attached and everything seemed to thrive for ages.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I used to keep them years ago, you're probably better off just buying one of the starter kits or something because they usually come with an adequate enclosure. Just remember to use distilled water and not tap water. They are awesome little creatures to watch, ohh and if one dies remove it as soon as possible as they stink. Haha

*edit*

I find the tanks you get supplied with the kits a total waste of plastic for the most part. Far too small for adults - however, they are useful for rearing larvae until they get visible to the naked eye (to about 5mm or so).
I got one of those really cool big enclosures with mine that were separated into about five different sections, seemed big enough for the ones I kept.

:)

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the containers that you get with the kits do seem a waste of materials, i'd much rather spend a bit more money getting a better tank.. something like a 15L clearseal.
mum doesnt want anymore water in the house lol. i've 3 tanks, 120, 60 and 20. anybody think i could house them with fish?
i have a Black ghost knife and pantano cichlids, which will be put in a larger tank in the future.
in atm.i really need to shut down the 20l, it's got convict fry

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Probably can't house them with fish, they'll eat smaller fish and get eaten by larger fish.

They don't live that long, being seasonal pool animals, but they're worth a go at raising as they can be rather pretty (depending on species). And the short lifespan (rarely more than 3 months if memory serves) means there's no long term commitment if they're not to your liking.

Grant, if you want some T. canceriformis eggs for your tank I can send you some, I've got some I'm not using.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I used to keep them about 3 years ago, they are the coolest things ever! I have loads of eggs left but haven't got round to hatching them :(

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I had sea monkeys once but at no point did they even start building a underwater city nor did I ever see a "king seamonkey" or any cute females one's wearing bikini's :censor:

Damn you false advertising!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an unused box kit of them at the moment, so if anyone wants them...

As for eggs, they need to be dessicated (dried out) before you can re hydrate them and get them to hatch, leaving them in water does nothing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had some about 2 years ago, theyre so tiny when they hatch, and most of them usually die at that stage, i had the one called antlantis, with a ant farm, triop tank ( with islands which the ants could walk across) and cress seeds (for some reason). It was pretty cool

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
are these the critters ??

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yup, they're that.

Course there's a load of different species.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I got right into these a few yrs ago...ordered some Australiensis and Cancriformis eggs from europe (Germany/Austria I think)
Never managed to get the Australiensis to go...but got some cancs going.
I generally find you only end up with 1 or 2, or atleast I do because I generally only use a few eggs at a time.
For singles, a medium faunarium is fine...got a canc in one at the mo...but I kept a group of 3 or 4 in an 11ltr faun.

If I remember right, the one in that pic is an African species...which is practically impossible to get :(

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Cancriformis are beautiful though. If you can get them in sunlight they're marbled green with almost a bronze hue to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.