Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,so my first 2 babies to hatch were still attached to the egg by a 'cord'.The first one detached from the 'cord' approx 24 hours after hatching and the second is still attached(hatched yesterday about 3pm)
My third has just hatched and is not attached to the egg and i can see the yolk attached to it's tummy as is normal.
The first 2 to hatch were out the same tub,the third out of a different tub.
The cord is 'fleshy' and was attached to one end of the egg.
Pics below(once again excuse the quality!)
The egg on the left is off the latest hatchling,the egg on the right still has the cord attached to it.
Just wondered if anybody has seen this before and if there is a reason why this has happened?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
when they hatch, are you leaving them be until they are active or are you moving them to a new container straight away or helping them out of the egg?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no,i've totally left them alone.They're still in the bator as i don't wanna move them till the egg has come off the second baby.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
hmm, maybe they were a bit premature or just came out of the egg a bit soon? if they are healthy though i guess it doesnt matter? wierd though

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah they seem fine.the first one to hatch who is detached from the egg is running round like a nutter! The one that is still attached seems fine but keeps kicking the egg with it's back legs as if it's trying to get it off!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump :up:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a baby leo that hatched that was still joined to her egg by her umbilical cord. I waited until the cord has completely dried, and then just snipped it with scissors. The bit that was left soon dropped off her belly :)

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
I often see lizards hatch with the umbilical cord, sometimes they hatch and pull it around and then it dries and drops off, or sometimes they stay in the egg and it doesn't come out with them.

Snakes I rarely see come out with it still attached but I've seen it a fair bit on geckos and beardies too :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've had this happen several times this year and really don't worry about it. Sounds like they have just hatched a littleearly and it will dry up probably within the next 48 hours and then drop off. Just make sure the kitchen towel you keep them on is slightly damp so the cord doesn't dry and stick to it...if the gecko does try and pull it may then cause more damage.

I would suggest moving it to a clean tub but if you are not happy to move it then just leave it be for a little longer...just make sure it can have access to water to drink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts