Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've a 2 year old Bolivian boa.

She's in good health. She's been checked by our reptile vet and he can't find anything wrong with her. He has ruled out any respiratory infection. There are no symptons of infection. Cultures all fine.

However about once a month or so I hear her coughing/sneezing. I've been able to watch her a few times. Her mouth is open a little bit and her body tenses with each 'cough'. Sometimes she coughs only 4/5 times but tonight she coughed about 10 times. It's loud and almost sounds like barking! It's been going on for about 6 months.

She eats like a pig and is happy to be handled. She defecates and sheds fine too. She's growing nicely, not fat or thin.

Has anyone else heard/seen their boa do this? I've searched all over the internet but can't find anything to do with coughing snakes!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It really is sporadic. I've made a note of when she does it and have checked against her eating and shedding and not noticed anything that could link the two together. I had thought perhaps it was to do with shedding but it isn't. She doesn't do it before or after shedding as a rule.

It is very puzzling!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh yeah, they sure can!!!
That is funny, not sure why i find it so funny, i dont think u cud pass it off quite so easily as blaming it on the dog :lol2:
Ur Boa looks lovely by the way very pretty head markings, im more of a royal fan but there are some lovely boa morphs out there:no1:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
lol,
just sitting here now and my adult female kahl is doing it now!!

coughs/barks about 5/6 times then nothing.

Had one of my other big females do it really late at night and I totall crapped myself :gasp:

No outwards signs or problems: victory:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol,
just sitting here now and my adult female kahl is doing it now!!

coughs/barks about 5/6 times then nothing.

Had one of my other big females do it really late at night and I totall crapped myself :gasp:

No outwards signs or problems: victory:
How bizarre. I've never heard one of the others do it, just this one. And nobody I've spoken to has heard anything like it.

It really is quite loud. I follow the noise into the reptile room and have watched her do it quite a few times.

There aren't any signs of any issues with Leila. I think my vet thinks I'm mental and making it up. The next step would be endoscopy but it seems a step too far? I've tried to grab my phone to video it but haven't managed to get it in time.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Never heard of that before! Someone told me they couldn't, cos of they could they would find it easier to clear mucus if they had an RI! Mad, bet I hear some of mine do it tomorrow now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts