Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mum has started helping out here:

Reindeer and Animal Hire for TV, Film, and Special Events

She helps out with the reindeer especially at this time of the year when they are in demand.

We have just got the correct paperwork through to keep a couple of youngsters next year and i was wondering if anyone else keeps this odd critters with their moss obcession???

Also if you love reindeer check out the link lol.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
what paperworks needed ?

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
We had 2 castrated male Reindeer at a farm park I used to work at. They were pretty cool, not especially friendly but would come up to you at feeding time. They can be pretty nasty, & they clout the hell out of you with their front hooves. We used to dread vaccination time/worming/etc hehe.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
We had 2 castrated male Reindeer at a farm park I used to work at. They were pretty cool, not especially friendly but would come up to you at feeding time. They can be pretty nasty, & they clout the hell out of you with their front hooves. We used to dread vaccination time/worming/etc hehe.

hee hee col im sorry i have this vision of you running round a feild screaming with a reindeer chasing after you :lol2::lol2:

sowwie :blush::lol2:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You need a license to keep them. Also they have to be registered etc.

Never approach a reindeer during breeding season lol.
as in a dwa am sure it depends on species of reindeer what type are you getting

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think they are great , from what I have read you dont need a licence, all you need is a normal holding number from Defra just the same as you do any other cloven animal such as goats, sheep cows etc.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they are great , from what I have read you dont need a licence, all you need is a normal holding number from Defra just the same as you do any other cloven animal such as goats, sheep cows etc.
I was told they need a zoo license however they are my mums animals so dont know. Surely if they were on a DWA you wouldnt be able to use them in demos lol

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the site I found the info on , If you scroll down to registering/Movement reqirements Reindeer Management

How acurate the info is I have no idea but if its true you can get a holding number over the telephone
Ill ask my mum tonight. Shes filled in all the paper work for them lol so she will know more than me. Just wanted to see if anyone else owned these wierd and wonderful creatures.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ill ask my mum tonight. Shes filled in all the paper work for them lol so she will know more than me. Just wanted to see if anyone else owned these wierd and wonderful creatures.
Family Cervidae:
All species of the genera Alces and
Rangifer, except any domestic form of the
species Rangifer tarandus:
The moose or elk and the caribou or reindeer.
The domestic reindeer is excepted
this is from Defras DWA list, so whatever a domestic reindeer is, its legal to keep without a licence :)

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Odd. Oh well shes odd for keeping them. Not sure i like them they have wierd faces lmao.
But they have nice soft smooshy noses, & amazing feet!

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
this is from Defras DWA list, so whatever a domestic reindeer is, its legal to keep without a licence :)
You need to visit Finland. The finns (Sammi tribe) have been using them as beasts of burden for centuries. They're farmed by the thousand as most other domesticated animals cannot withstand the temperatures in Scandanavia over winter.

Definately not the best tasting venison out there though. And they eat the tongues as a delicacy. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Reindeer

We bought/rescued a pair of reindeer from that farm this year, (our intentions were to purchase healthy deer, but on seeing these two we decided that their needs warranted more attention, basically they looked very underweight). On returning back to our farm the two deer were kept in a quarantine situation until an inspection was sought by our zoo vet, the two reindeer were tested the next day, a faeces sample was taken, my assumptions were right they were riddled with worms, 1700 per gram to be precise, On telephoning the “I am The Reindeer Man,” I was given a wall of abuse he stated that “are you going to blame me every 12 weeks when they have worms”, I did remind him that I had only purchased and collected the reindeer and that they had only been in our possession for less than 48 hours!!!. After more ranting and foul language from this man stating He was the Reindeer man and what do I know? I know that this reindeer man took my money and when challenged on his husbandry methods he just slammed down the phone.
The two reindeer in question now are in full health and are fully trained to halter/lead rope and will walk side by side, it had taken me only a few weeks of giving these two reindeer the attention and affection the right husbandry method to achieve their trust.

I do hope that this Reindeer farmer steps outside of his box and takes a better look at his ways of competence.
photo's to up loaded later!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts