Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i've got a good 1-4 years left in school but i'm going to definitely go to a myerscough college when i eventually leave:2thumb:..

so does anyone have an idea of what they're like there and what animals they have?

i know im thinking far ahead but i do that all the time :p

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
why dont you go visit? they have loads of open days, and website says they have a q&a thing in liverpool pretty soon Come and Visit!

didnt go myself, but know loads that did, all for agricultural and equine courses though. what are you looking at applying for? the stables are fantastic, i know that much ;)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My mum works at the Croxteth centre, currently teaching level 1 animal care coincidentally! (I assume you mean that one as you're from Liverpool). They have just had a massive revamp of the animal centre and an equine department built over summer. Last time I had a nosey they had quite a lot of animals. Loads of fish, terrapins and phibs. A few bearded dragons, leos and a pair? of slow worms. A few royals, a big female boa, corns, milks, kings and a selection of inverts. Mammal wise there are ferrets, rats, mice, giant rabbits, guinea pigs, degus, chipmunks, and a few other more-exotic rodenty species I can't think off, but nothing like sugar gliders. Theres quite a lot of birds aswell.

Theres loads of open days throughout the year on saturdays where you get to see what the courses are like and a tour around the animal centre.

If you want any more info from the horses mouth so to speak, I can ask mother for you?

She has worked at the main centre in Preston aswell which is much bigger and has a lot more animals and students, but I can't comment personally as I have never been. There used to be a smaller centre in Manchester aswell but it closed this year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why dont you go visit? they have loads of open days, and website says they have a q&a thing in liverpool pretty soon Come and Visit!

didnt go myself, but know loads that did, all for agricultural and equine courses though. what are you looking at applying for? the stables are fantastic, i know that much ;)
i'll do that soon, thanks so much!

My mum works at the Croxteth centre, currently teaching level 1 animal care coincidentally! (I assume you mean that one as you're from Liverpool). They have just had a massive revamp of the animal centre and an equine department built over summer. Last time I had a nosey they had quite a lot of animals. Loads of fish, terrapins and phibs. A few bearded dragons, leos and a pair? of slow worms. A few royals, a big female boa, corns, milks, kings and a selection of inverts. Mammal wise there are ferrets, rats, mice, giant rabbits, guinea pigs, degus, chipmunks, and a few other more-exotic rodenty species I can't think off, but nothing like sugar gliders. Theres quite a lot of birds aswell.

Theres loads of open days throughout the year on saturdays where you get to see what the courses are like and a tour around the animal centre.

If you want any more info from the horses mouth so to speak, I can ask mother for you?

She has worked at the main centre in Preston aswell which is much bigger and has a lot more animals and students, but I can't comment personally as I have never been. There used to be a smaller centre in Manchester aswell but it closed this year.
yes that's the one i mean :) it'd be really helpful if you don't mind asking her for me?:mf_dribble: i'm going to go down just after christmas :) thank you :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

sorry, i missed something you said, im looking to do anything with animals really :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi,

I am a past pupil of Mysercough (left about 6 years ago).

I did the Animal Behaviour & Welfare degree there as a 'Mature Student'

I know they do First & Nat Dips in Animal Care, Animal Management & Equine, Vet nursing etc... them also the HND & Bsc but they are mainly behavour, welfare and vet science. On top they do short courses in Animal First Aid, Chicken Rearing, Dog massage etc...

I have a few friends that teach at various other establishments in the North West in Animal Studies, aswell as tutors still at Myerscough.

This college is very knowledgable in Farm Animals, as have working Sheep and Dairy Farms a few miles away from the main campus at Bilsborow. (I belive they make there own local chesse with)

They have a rodent room, with plenty of furries, a large Aqaurium and a good size Reptile room.

Last time I remember they had:-
Blue Tongue Skink
Hermans Tort
Selection of Geckos
Bearded
Iggies
Water Dragons
Corn Snakes,
King Snake
Ball Python
Mexican Red Knee Tran
Emperor Scorpions
Indian Sticks
Praying Mantis
Millipead
Fruit Beetles
Selection of livefood

They do have a vast selection of outdoor livestock:-
Guniea Pigs,
Rabbits
Chickens
Ducks
Turkeys
Parrots
Budgies
Pigeons
Sheep
Pigs
Donkeys
Horses
Goats
Cows
Llamas

Best to go up on the open day, the majority of the tutors are lovely and very easy to talk to, have a wander up to the stables & animal houses.

Reactions: joemeatsix
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.