Reptile Forums banner

ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE OF "CONVULSIONS" IN SNAK

1K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  desertking06 
#1 ·
my amel stripe tango died a week ago now after what i can only describe as a convulsion or fit total mystery to me and all the yanks on cornsnakes so it appears,i will try to put pics up but there not pretty,anyone had any sort of experience like this all i have so far is "toxic" but hes kept exactly the same as the other 20 so i guess id rule that one out....maybe hereditery??? you views would be appreciatted

and by the way top forum found it by accident :)

See less See more
#2 ·
jesus mate, looks a right mess.. poor little git..
i guess the yanks will know more than us, nothad that sorta thing myself

#3 ·
He's got very bad kinks...

My amel, Tango incidently, had a kind of paralysis going on aswell as not feeding and weird shedding, and she died last month. Convinced the kinks (worse than yours) contributed.

Basically they are genetic dudds, and in the real world they would be die off.

Sorry for your loss :(

#5 ·
optical illusion said:
He's got very bad kinks...

My amel, Tango incidently, had a kind of paralysis going on aswell as not feeding and weird shedding, and she died last month. Convinced the kinks (worse than yours) contributed.

Basically they are genetic dudds, and in the real world they would be die off.

Sorry for your loss :(
thanks for that but the pics were taken the minute it happened it was so sudden one minute it was a lovely corn climbing all over you then it was "fitting" and gone the pics were taken literaly seconds after the fit and he was dead,before that he fed on cue,shed and everthing a real puzzler perhaps it wasnt meant to be...

#6 ·
cornmorphs said:
jesus mate, looks a right mess.. poor little git..
i guess the yanks will know more than us, nothad that sorta thing myself
that was my first impression mate...ask the yanks there all puzzled too apart from maybe toxins???? but i would have thought it would have affected the others too as there all kept in the same room ,temps ,heat, food etc

#7 ·
you said he was climbing on you ? perhaps something you had touched/ perfume/ aftershave/ fumes from something you had been doing ? sounds like an extreemly severe reaction, whos to say that the poor thing was not fatally allergic to something on you ?

if my hubby crawled on you and you had been eating peanuts he would probably die I would just squash you !(ok bad analagy but you get my drift)

#9 ·
just to add, there were no deformaties on this snake at all... the kinked look it has there happened during the convulsions i presume.

#10 ·
Ceiron said:
convulsions are hard thing to pinpoint

looking at the snake though im amazed it got so far

i woudl say most likely thign is it went into a form of shock, this proyll cause the convulsions

i think anyway
thats the most frustrating thing though up till the time it happened he was the "model" snake just perfect if there was an imperfection then maybe he was perfect ...just a thought i know it happens in dogs where the perfect breed goes bad are we going that way????? where perfection comes with a price ,,,ill guess we wont know untill it becomes a regular occurance of which i hope never happens

#12 ·
being inbred might be a problem mate, you never know down the line i suppose.
i had a lot of yearlings drop dead for no apparanent reason, and they were possibly coz of that.. i personally dont breed more than one generation.

#13 ·
cornmorphs said:
just to add, there were no deformaties on this snake at all... the kinked look it has there happened during the convulsions i presume.
your right nige...he was perfect and this is how he died..not pretty,he came from hamm 2005 you got him for me and up untill that day was ace dont know if he was inbred...wouldnt have thought so

#14 ·
i cant remember the breeder either as i woul dhave bought from a few amel stripes breeders.

#16 ·
thats why i have bought from such different areas.. i am confident now that all my snakes are unrelated or 1st generation, and thats only a couple.

#17 ·
ppl talkinfg about kinks on the snake....that is what a dead snake looks like!

there is another thread about a garter that fitted and died, mayber find some answers there?? some of the replies weemed adamant that it was to do with a vitamin deficiency. will post the link when i find it...

Sorry about your snake. what a horrible way to go, and so upsetting to see.

#18 ·
im sorry for your loss. My snake looked exactly like that, all twisted and "broken". It was my garter that died yesteday, someone was on about posting a link to the thread. Ive been emailing an expert and he says that fits are very common in ill snakes, whatever the illness. He says that genetics and inbreeding problems are very un-common causes for things like this to happen. I thought maybe it was the vit deficiency, but he says if the garter was eating pinkies regular (he was, every week) then it shouldnt have happened.
Like yours my garter was fine, just ate monday, shedding well....then suddenly gone.
I hope it was just "one of those things" for your poor snake and mine. I dont want this to ever happen again.

#19 ·
that looks really harsh, i hope that never happens to mine... :(

#21 ·
dragontattooist said:
im sorry for your loss. My snake looked exactly like that, all twisted and "broken". It was my garter that died yesteday, someone was on about posting a link to the thread. Ive been emailing an expert and he says that fits are very common in ill snakes, whatever the illness. He says that genetics and inbreeding problems are very un-common causes for things like this to happen. I thought maybe it was the vit deficiency, but he says if the garter was eating pinkies regular (he was, every week) then it shouldnt have happened.
Like yours my garter was fine, just ate monday, shedding well....then suddenly gone.
I hope it was just "one of those things" for your poor snake and mine. I dont want this to ever happen again.
thanks lets hope its a one off..btw i use reptivate inthe water of all my snakes just to add a few vits

#22 ·
Cara said:
Mine did that but is still alive, mine OD'd on frontline (long story if you don't know and really want too then search my prev posts) which is why she was shaking, you haven't de-mited them recently?
no fraid not,heard plenty of horror stories with frontline though if not used carefully,thanks for the input though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.