Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a food called 'Exotic Leaf Eater'?
(It's a dried food, that is a light brown colour, and the pieces are about 1.5cm long and about 5mm thick)

I used to buy this from 'Prestige Herps' at the Wyevale Garden Center (in Copthorne, East Sussex).

However, on my last visit there, I found they have closed down.

My tortoise loved this food.
Does anyone know where else I can buy this from ?

Many thanks
Tony

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Never heard of it. Tortoise should only be fed on natural weeds! there are still plently about this time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
In the meantime, I've been looking on Ebay, and have just bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRETTY-PETS-T...oryZ1285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks similar to the stuff I used to buy, only it wasn't assorted colours like this one....mine used to be all one colour (brownish).

Can I ask what your thoughts are on the nutritional content?
Of course, as you point out, it would be fed alongside a diet of fresh food.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
520 Posts
please as Sarah has said DO NOT feed your tortoise this stuff.it is too high in protien,it is not neccesary to buy any food for your tortoise as there are plenty of weeds around even at this time of year! please say you dont house your tortoise in a vivarium too??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 'blondesarah' and 'kerrypudge'.
Just wanted to let you know I have read your posts - thank you.

I've just read that 'linky' you sent, I didn't realise the deal with the pellet foods :oops:
I'll keep clear of this, and will look to buy some weed seeds, so that I can grow some proper food.

I only thought to buy this pellet stuff, as I thought I was doing good for my tort, and I was only concerned that perhaps it wouldn't eat enough otherwise.

Why is this stuff sold, if people know the protein is too high, resulting in enlarged growth?
I guess it's kinda like bodybuilders eating all that protein etc, and getting huge.

Isn't there any other type of produced food out there (regardless of price) that doesn't have this problem?

BTW, I don't keep him in a vivarium.
In the summer months, he stays out in the garden.
And when it gets colder, he comes in at nights.
At the moment, he's inside the house all the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Glad you wont be using these pellets. what type of tortoise do you keep?is it not hibrnating?

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
** only thought to buy this pellet stuff, as I thought I was doing good for my tort, and I was only concerned that perhaps it wouldn't eat enough otherwise.

In the wild they have to walk miles to find food. There is no way a captive tortoise fed daily would not be eating enough, most likely the opposite :(

**Why is this stuff sold, if people know the protein is too high, resulting in enlarged growth?

Because there is no law against it and so long as they declare what it contains they ca get away with it. AND most importantly it makes them heaps of money!!

**I guess it's kinda like bodybuilders eating all that protein etc, and getting huge.

Yes and dogs being fed on Pedigree Chum for years and suffering impacted anal glands :( BTW Crufts winners do not feed it they just get paid huge amounts to say they do :(

**Isn't there any other type of produced food out there (regardless of price) that doesn't have this problem?

Why on earth would you want to feed any animal on unnatural food when the correct diet grows free in fields and on our roadsides?

**BTW, I don't keep him in a vivarium.

Thank God for that or they would not live long

**In the summer months, he stays out in the garden.

Excellent - make sure he has lots of weeds to eat

**And when it gets colder, he comes in at nights.

Try setting him up a littlel kennel with basking lamps or a greenhouse

**At the moment, he's inside the house all the time.

Why is he not hibernating?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply 'wizzasmum'.
Your answers make interesting reading.

Looking back, I suppose it was just a lack of knowledge.
In the past, I worried that he wouldn't eat enough, hence the pellet food formed part of his diet.
And I assumed he wouldn't eat stuff that he didn't like.

I suppose it's the same as parents that overfeed their kids.
If you asked them, I'm sure they'd say they didn't mean any harm.

Regarding your comments about why I'd feed him unnatural food.
Well, I assumed that this type of food was special engineered to a high standard...so the manufacturers have you believe.
Sort of like how sportsmen use special drinks and supplements, as they are more efficient/effective than normal food.
But from what I see now, I guess it's not the same regarding this type of tort food.

Regarding the last comment, he's not hibernating.
I guess it's due to me not having the relevant knowledge, which is glad why I have now found this forum, and the 'links' it contains.
I've had him about 3 years, and he is about 4 - 4.5 years old.
I took him in, after the original owner 'lost interest'.
As I say, I've not hibernated him, but have always tried to keep him warm, and with UV, through the winter months.

Could you offer any advice on this scenario ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts