Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im swapping my viv for an aquarium hopefully by the weekend and have some wood spare to hand over or keep for the aquarium.

Which of the following would be safe to use, after being soaked etc.

Thanks in advance : victory:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
First 2 pics, definitely fine. The others I'm not positive, but I reckon would be okay. I'd wait though in case someone knows they're definitely not okay!

The 3rd and 4th pic, I have a bit of wood that looks like that in one of my tanks, and it's fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'l definitely be saving the first one then =]

The last one is java wood but can't seem to find anything stating its fine for aquariums =/

And I don't know if the second type is bog wood..but again I can't find any good examples

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
as long as you soak then re-soak to get the tannins out they will all be fine but untill they are completly tannin free they may make your water cloudy so regular changes are required also make sure they are well soaked before letting any plecs loose on them :whistling2:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Il start soaking them immediately. It maybe a week/2week before I get the tank and at that I don't have to rush putting em in so I'l keep soaking and rinsing ;)

Thanks to both of you =]

·
Banned
303 Posts
aThe first two are Mopani wood and will be OK. The second two are bogwood and again will be safe. The last picture looks like sumatran driftwood to me (This is actualy mangrove root) and again will be safe.

All need soaking, the sumatran driftwood is best soaked over three days in three, daily changes of water. Bogwood needs a good two weeks to get most of the tannin out. Even after a lenghy soaking your water may still be discoloured slightly. Water changes and the use of carbon in the filter will reduce this over time. Hope that helps.

LB

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks LB,

I left em to soak over night and to my surpsise there wasn't that much discoloration! Will keep soaking for a while yet tho ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
All will be fine. :2thumb:
Tannins are harmless though, there's no need to soak. : victory:
yeah but like COCO POPS they make the milk turn chocolatey :Na_Na_Na_Na:

best to soak em clean unless ya like broooooon water :flrt:

·
Banned
303 Posts
All will be fine. :2thumb:
Tannins are harmless though, there's no need to soak. : victory:
Have you ever seen the stringy, gelatinous like sap that seaps out of mangrove root? It makes a real mess of your tank. You definately want to soak it in changes of water unless you don't care about the appearance of your tank. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha I don't fancy coco milk in the tank! Will soak for a little longer =P

Thanks luca, Il be soaking most of this week. They were used in a vivarium for a few years so should be pretty dry (they have been cleaned and cleaned again)

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
best to soak em clean unless ya like broooooon water :flrt:
Chocolatey? Overstatement ;)
My african pred tank looks great with loads of tannins in the water!

Have you ever seen the stringy, gelatinous like sap that seaps out of mangrove root? It makes a real mess of your tank. You definately want to soak it in changes of water unless you don't care about the appearance of your tank. ;)
Yes, I have. Nerites love it as well as many shrimp. Very healthy, it is. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chocolatey? Overstatement ;)
My african pred tank looks great with loads of tannins in the water!

Yes, I have. Nerites love it as well as many shrimp. Very healthy, it is. ;)
never thought of the positive effects of tannin :lol2:

Got me thinking now : victory:

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Which of the following would be safe to use, after being soaked etc.
All are fine. The first two are Mopani (hardwood) and the second two are Bogwood (softwood) and are common in aquariums. The last one will probably float though...:whistling2: :lol2:

Run them through a hot cycle in an empty dishwasher (without detergent) and then soak them for a few days afterwards. That'll get rid of the majority of tannins for you. : victory:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts