Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<}:¬{) Okay guys and gals let's see what I can construct with the following. Proposition is to make an arboreal snake enclosure. The design ( stage 1 ) is down on paper and as you can see I have the preliminary outline cut out.

Okay lets get the show on the road - this is stage 2 = most of the materials I will be using in this project. ( Donnie Darkko is just being a cute companion - again spreading his butt on any new surface!!!)

Like to see & hear any positive guidelines and input - photos welcome... etc

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
May find it easier with a better set square :lol2:

Looks like you're all geared up, looking forward to how it turns out

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
Something i found on my build (with pics)

looks like ur all set....

Only thing i would say when i built this (just recently finished & done decor) its in 2 section the base storage is 1 unit the viv & electrics housing is the 2nd unit (which has a cover panel to tidy the open top)

I found it "tricky" at the start, partially because of a school boy error, As I designed it, so it would fit with the back being screwed onto the ends of the sides, not the sides into the back like the pic below, basic cutting error..doh! (eg I left the back 30mm short - the 15mm thickness of the boards on either side)

I had "fun"...lol trying to hold the back in position with the sides (Im alright with this stuff being a carpenter son, working for a builders merchant) but the side would often colapse inwards, untill I got 2 large (about 6ft) clamps like this from work, I was then able to position/clamp the 3 peices in place (top & bottom of viv) & pre-drill & counter sink the sides & screw into the back (if u get my drift)

Hope this makes some sense! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys - just a few things : the wood is 9mm OSB board cut at B&Q for free. :lol2:= the set square joke - maybe your serious = ? - still it works, be it a tad worn on the edges:whistling2: (Technical hey)

( btw ~ as well as trying to demonstrate the build of the enclosure I hope to add the other specifics such cost of materials and my reasons of choice etc. I also hope that I wont use too many smilicons - like this one :bash: and this one :devil: which will smooth out any :blush: on my behalf thus leading to less of this :gasp: and this :Na_Na_Na_Na: but will eventually recieve a :2thumb: from you lot and perhaps even a little :notworthy: for my efforts.)

p.s - thankyou for the kind hearted PM from Dannie Lucia but I can reassure you the photo of the materials was taken with the parts lying upon a floor. The cat was not gorilla glued in place to a wall as you thought. :no1:)

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you're being far too posh with all those tools... I usually start and finished, just armed with an electric drill / screw driver.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wood board of choice was OSB ( Orientated Strand Board) 9mm thickness and at less than £14 per sheet ( which is over 2meters by 1meter size at B&Q).

I also used this

which was Gorilla Glued (*TM) ( "ching"):thumb: to one side of the pre-cut OSB using a couple of clamps like this

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Later, after the adhesive had stuck the said together, a little 'tidying up' of the edge was needed. This is were the Gorilla Glue had exuded out from the two pieces of wood. TOP TIP = is to let it dry then remove the hardened 'overspill' as oppossed to trying to remove when still tacky. The later process will no doubt lead to more of a mess than initially intended!

After drying - a little tidying. Using a chisel to remove exuded hardened glue.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Looking very proffesional so far :2thumb: and yeah, it was a joke about the set square since all your cutting was already done :lol2:

Reactions: KWIBEZEE

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looking very proffesional so far :2thumb: and yeah, it was a joke about the set square since all your cutting was already done :lol2:
Thanks - The set square was needed to mark out a decent cut on the batons.

you're being far too posh with all those tools... I usually start and finished, just armed with an electric drill / screw driver.

I don't like to use screws and nails matey.

( See your in Preston - I'll send you a PM sometime when I'm less busy etc.)

Anyway - let's continue to the next stage of progress:

Okay, got some exterior high gloss (deep base) paint mixed up = ~£13 for a one litre tin.

Assembled the two painted sides onto the backing first. Once the sides had been attached the base and ceiling were adhered in place so giving a basic box. TOP TIP = notice on the first photo I have delibaretly NOT painted the sides of the supporting battons which are then glued onto the backing board section which also is not painted. This gives a stronger bond which can then later be overpainted and varnished so as to make a quality seel.

p.s - I did infact choose to use a few small copper panel pins to see that the pieces of each section did not slide away from one another whilst the adhesive cured.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
I don't like to use screws and nails matey.

( See your in Preston - I'll send you a PM sometime when I'm less busy etc.)
I don't like buying things so i find screws easier :)

Take it you're local?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Further progress :
'Green is the new black' - interior ceiling painted sky-blue = TEST_POT ~ £1.30 ( B&Q again!). Gluing top frame piece in and lower base panel which will keep the substrate in.

Top batton painted green and another batton being glued to the base panel. The battons will form a frame onto which a hinged door will be attached. So far so good and half the time is waiting for the glue/ paint/ varnish to dry. It will be a good week or so before I am satisfied that the thing is safely cured but I will leave it outside some days. I will also fill the interior with water, place on its side, leave to stand for a good day or so and repeat a couple of times. - Yes I am that fussy - lol.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dakotalondon - thanks buddy. I may put the Togo star-burst T's in them when they are bigger - LOL - but at the moment I'm on the look out for Boiga cyanea.

Meko - sent you a Pm.

Now here's the funky bit: - inspired of course from the days of electric yellow crackled spandex kex :

Seriously though - the yellow & green represents a canopy background etc - tree outlines broken up by light etc.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"..ain't it funky - 1,2 ,3, 4 ..."

Update... no sign of definite Boiga cyanea ( hatchlings or less than ~12 months) on the horizon. Thanks to those that have suggested HAMM etc but without 100% confirmation/ reservation etc I don't think the £120 Coach to the Show will satisfy me. ( The Coach deal looks pretty darn good in my opinion and well worth the cost etc).

Okay, a few more photos of the build. The paint work has been over sealed with Yacht varnish. Hopefully this will give a waterproof, durable seal that will last a good while. - let the photos do the talking :

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And onto the frame

Progress with the hinged door.

Assembly of a basic frame using Gorilla Glue

A couple of heavy duty staples didn't go a miss - help strengthing the structure and an aid in preventing slippage as the adhesive dries and cures.

A little tidying up of the sides

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting the glass cut today to fit in the frame. Also got myself some air vents and some hinges. Looking out for a couple of small clasp hooks now.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
big frames and small butts...

Got the glass - 4mm with all sides buffed so as to avoid cutting myself etc = £6. Placed the said piece in the frame which sat nicely and its surface is flush with the level of the frame edges etc. Took another section of pinewood and glued this on top so as to hold the glass in frame.

Used this type of pine stripwood

And used the clamps ( basic though they may be) to hold it all in place whilst drying and curing

Once dried used these butt hinges to hang the door onto the main body of the box.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
slated

Well I guess the logical progression of things would have been to show you guys the aforementioned glass hinged door attached to the enclosure as is. Well, in the way of things a little technicality arose which meant that the progess of the build was to be made easier if the said door remained to one side so to speak. Only a temporary step and onto another little detail.

The tube heaters arrived today. These are 45 watt 1 foot tube heaters. They cost under £26 for both delivered. Find these on ebay - plenty of sizes and wattages. The fact that these devises are splash proof appealed to me since it's not rocket science to work out that electrical components and water don't often mix well. Need I say more? - No!

As with my last custom enclosure I decided to tile the back-wall where the AHS heater was placed. This was mainly to add a safety feature into the design and rest my fear that the wood of the enclosure would not catch alight. ( You can find details of the said build - KINGSNAKE HABITAT etc).

It just so happened that I happened upon a couple of roof slates that were being thrown away in a skip by some work attended upon a Catholic Church in Leeds. ( One of the only times I openly admit to thanking such an establishment may I add - although no parson or workman was there to voice the such:whistling2:).

I made a quick measurement of the section where the tube heater was to be placed and cut the tile according to that size. After testing for a fit I drilled a small hole in each corner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts