Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m currently setting up new vivariums for my royals and went down the heat projector route thinking it could be the best, I’ve set everything up and it’s been on for about 5 days now, but can’t get the correct temps!

Basking surface is 35-35.2
Hot hide is 26.3
Cool side 19.8
The projector is 80W

I’ve moved the probe around got slate underneath the projector and quartz around the vivarium to heat emit IR-C but it’s just not working. I have no other ideas and thinking about going back to ceramics.

Any ideas what I could do? Or just go back to ceramics? Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Its working as it should - If you read the information on their packaging and website you see that they don't heat the air, they provide IR radiation that is absorbed through the skin, or item they strike. A basking spot surface temperature of 32c - 35c is fine. Cool side is low, but the fact the snake has access to a location where it can warm up then that should be fine. However, if for any reason the snake stays at the cool end then at 19c you will have issues IMO

Personally I prefer ceramics. There is some evidence that snakes can still see the red glow from the projector element and for nocturnal reptiles such as Royals is an issue as I find they do well with a true photo-period. The drawback of dryness associated with ceramics can be overcome using large water bowls or the occasional misting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I understood that they don’t heat the air but I’ve read up that apparently they heat rocks and other things in the vivarium which would then realise IR-C but this has not been the case. I have used ceramics before this but just thought maybe there were better ways of heating. I think I’m just going to go back to ceramics as I’ve never had a problem with them anyways.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Deep heat projectors aren't very suitable for most things in my opinion. The heat is warm and effective but it is too localised. You want the heat source/spread to entirely cover the animal, these deep heat projectors only seem to create a cyclinder of heat directly downwards with next to no spread, making them only suitable for small species like geckos.

If you really want to provide better IR heat then just get some kind of halogen bulb for the day time and then at night use a ceramic or similar to keep the night temps up. Works best for most things.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
If you really want to provide better IR heat then just get some kind of halogen bulb for the day time and then at night use a ceramic or similar to keep the night temps up. Works best for most things.
I can understand your logic, but that involves two different type of thermostat, one for the lamp (dimmer) and one for the ceramic (pulse prop). It would be easier for the OP just to use a ceramic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deep heat projectors aren't very suitable for most things in my opinion. The heat is warm and effective but it is too localised. You want the heat source/spread to entirely cover the animal, these deep heat projectors only seem to create a cyclinder of heat directly downwards with next to no spread, making them only suitable for small species like geckos.

Yeah I didn’t wanna go down the two thermostat route. Otherwise my whole collection would be going down that route. I’m gonna stick to ceramics for my pythons and a suitable uvb i think.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can understand your logic, but that involves two different type of thermostat, one for the lamp (dimmer) and one for the ceramic (pulse prop). It would be easier for the OP just to use a ceramic
Correct, thats not really an argument against it.

You can also get stats that control multiple heat sources these days.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Correct, thats not really an argument against it.
It is for some who can't afford the extra cost.

You can, but they are upwards of three times the cost of a traditional pulse proportional stat.

I'm not saying that this is a dumb way to do things. I agree with you, it's a way of controlling two heat sources as suggested, and will overcome the disadvantage of running a light as a heat source for a nocturnal snake. But it also has disadvantages in cost, and complexity that a lot of people may find difficult to accept.

Often (not always) a lot of people try to keep the reptiles on the cheap. They feel it's illogical to spend £400 on a viv, decent thermostat, decor, UV lights, timers etc for a £50 snake. So having to double up on equipment, especially if more than one enclosure is being kitted out could be a difficult sell ;-)

I've been in the hobby 35 years so seen a lot of products come and go. I've been messing about with my own design of thermostats for over a decade. There is no form of heating that is 100% ideal Each have their own pros and cons. Combining them is one way to overcome some of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What stats do this as I have been looking around for a while now and only ever came a cross one on eBay. The stats in rough can be switched from dimming, pulse and on/off but not control multiple sources.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What stats do this as I have been looking around for a while now and only ever came a cross one on eBay. The stats in rough can be switched from dimming, pulse and on/off but not control multiple sources.
Microclimate evo
Habistat digital
Exo Terra 600w with dual receptacles, and some others i believe

The microclimate evo is the most versatile from my experience as you can run 2 separate heat sources (of differing types) simultaneously or day and night or run one of them as a cooler etc etc. However it only has 1 probe.

I have not used the digital habistat ones but a friend of mine said they're good.

The Exo Terra ones are surprisingly good, I was given one to test by Hagen and I was quite surprised. It has a plug for day and night, you tell it the time and what hours are the day and what hours are the night. Then you set the temperatures for both. it will then switch between the 2 heat sources when it goes from day to night and vice versa. You tell the stat if it needs to be a dimmer or a pulse. So far the one I have is working very well. I have it on an elongated tortoise enclosure running a halogen spot for day and a ceramic at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts