Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to whether all snakes have biting tendencies?

I've heard that some such as corns can be very tame one day and total biters the next and corns are what everyone seems to recommend!

So I'm wondering are all snakes biters and crazy or is there any thats always available for a hold and to take out? (Except around food times of course!): victory:

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any animal can bite, whether it will or not is another matter - most of my snakes are lovely tempered but a couple are less than pleasent too, varies from snake to snake just like with dogs and cats etc really.

Rach
Ah cool, so its less to do with the actual snake and more to do with the individual?

I don't mind the bite to be honest; I've had dog bites and cat bites/claws from my pets before whilst being a kid and petting the wrong pets!

So can you get the idea of there handlability when you first get them as I'm aware the majority are sold when they're still babies?

As i say the actual bite i'm not too too bothered about its more that i'm the kind of owner who likes taking my pets out and about plain "decoration" pets aren't really something i'm interested in.:whistling2:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
It depends on the snake. I have some that I've had from babies that have never even tried to bite, yet some have been totally mental since I got them. I have a small (2-3ft king) that will bite ANYTHING. He even bit and constricted round my fone when taking a pic. He is the most aggressive snake I have (and I keep an ATB). He just wont calm down; even with regular handling.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
have to say ive met more 'supposedly' tame spieces that bite than the ones that are snappy from reputation,give a snake time to settle and keep fast movements in the cage to a minimum and most will calm down but theres always exceptions like everything..i say go for what you really want not pick an animal based on just its temperament as most are just bluff/defensive rather than biting

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
to be honest royals r calmer then corns they curl up in to a ball when u approach them hence there American name ball pythons, the thing is that i bite from a corn is nothing a bite from a royal is worse

although my corn only goes for me with good reason like when hes shedding or if i startle him
I wouldnt say a royal is the best choice for a starter though compared to a corn, Ive had 2 corns and never been bitten by one.
Ive also had a royal that could be quite the nasty little thing and almost got my face...

Like Siman said its all down to the individual i guess: victory:

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I have a few corns, well 16 and I only have one who is nippy and even she doesn't do any harm. Mine vary from tiny to adult and the one who is nippy has always been defensive from a baby.

It is, as said previously, down to the individual snake.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
as everyone said, depends on the snake.

one of my corns is a evil git.. or 2 of them, my others have never even struck at me, shedding or not

my tamest little guy is my trinket snake. if seen his mouth open twice since ive had him... i will have had him 2 years this year.

hes so shy whilst eating, lol

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
On the whole I have found most snakes are fine unless you startle them, smell of food etc...
Gentle handling and respecting when they are blue goes a long way to having a nice snake to handle. Like any animal.: victory:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have 5 snakes and only my youn BRB has bit me [once] none of my other snakes have ever shown any sign of aggression! [not counting my Hoggie as they are the master bluffers!!]

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
All snakes can bite, it's just generally corns don't do it much.

I have 5 snakes (at the mo lol)
And have been bitten by three of them
1. Corn - Only once. hatchling launched himself out of my hands and started wriggling away and I had to grab him, in return he nipped me.
2. Royal- again only once. Completely my fault, had been handling mice, and I was just about to feed her. Bled like anything though.
3. Texas Rat Snake -LOOOOADS of times. he's a grumpy sod, and anything that goes in or near his RUB will get striked at or bitten. He is a sweetheart when out though.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
One of my new royals has developed a new biting fasination, and royals are supposed to be the tamest!!!

I think as well it depends on how you react, like any animal if a snake see you back off after a bite, as far as its concerned thats done the job and he'll continue to bite everytime after.

OK, it my hurt abit, but dont back off too quickly after a nip, make him or her see biting isnt effective. It will soon get the pciture.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Defernently depend's on type of snake althou personality of each snake is different , personally i find female's are nearly alway's a bit more bitey.:crazy:

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
akuma 天;1734864 said:
OK, it my hurt abit, but dont back off too quickly after a nip, make him or her see biting isnt effective. It will soon get the pciture.
After 3 years my radiated rat snakes must be very slow at getting the picture :D :D :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Both my corns are docile can also handle them when food is around without any problems. Like others say it depends on the snakes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts