Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in PAH today and I saw some young beardies basking on top of some mango root waving their arms about, they looked very cool.

I had some beardies once and they didn't do very well. Do they make good pets and if so what are the good aspects of beardies and what are their negatives if any? I always thought they were spiky grumpy lizards, am I wrong.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I was in PAH today and I saw some young beardies basking on top of some mango root waving their arms about, they looked very cool.

I had some beardies once and they didn't do very well. Do they make good pets and if so what are the good aspects of beardies and what are their negatives if any? I always thought they were spiky grumpy lizards, am I wrong.
I've always thought of them as friendly and easy going. Mine is at least!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi, there`s quite a decent amount of info on their captive care (amongst the garbage), if you can sift it out then yes, they make interesting and relatively long lived captives.
I think that when you say yours didn`t do too well you should have said YOU didn`t do too well with them, but hopefully if you do decide to get one this time you will (for the dragon`s sake)! :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
They make as good a pet as any reptile does. Like someone said it wont learn tricks or come to greet you when you get home from work, but I guess you realise that they arent a "pet" in the domestic sense.

Yes they do look cool, but they have speific requirements that need to be met and this can cost alot, as can the on going care of a reptile. If you feel you would like to keep one then please do your homework and be sure that you can cater to the needs of one lizard for the next 15 years before getting one. If you decide to go ahead in the end once you know what you are to expect, then I am sure you will enjoy keeping one :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a beardie and I wouldnt change him for the world. He is a little character and while he cant "fetch", you get so much satisfaction when they become tame very easily and you can hand feed them and let them relax on you while you watch tv :) I would only recommend to buy one though if you have time to let them our regularly

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
as reptiles go, I think dragons make one of the best 'pets'

alert, interactive, amusing, usually easy to handle and not nearly as nervy as many reptiles.

Downside are -

more expensive set up than some other reptiles

they eat their own bodyweight every day as babies. not the cheapest

and - this may or may not be a downside depending on your circumstances - they need food every day, esp when young, and they crap a lot. So you need to clean the box very regularly. So its a daily maintenance thing.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i believe they make great pets. there easy to care for and a greay beginner. you cant setup quite cheap aswell i.e vivs ect... if you look ok here and buy second hand. they have their own lil characters too. just make sure you do your research. pet expert make a great bearded dragon book its really good. its a tennr and you can get it from pets at home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They make as good a pet as any reptile does. Like someone said it wont learn tricks or come to greet you when you get home from work, but I guess you realise that they arent a "pet" in the domestic sense.
Oh I dunno, Pancake actually does come to the from of his viv to greet me as soon as I come home from work, and our beloved Pepper (sadly passed away now) wouldn't go to sleep until he saw me come home even when I worked late and wasn't home until 11pm bless him.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, there`s quite a decent amount of info on their captive care (amongst the garbage), if you can sift it out then yes, they make interesting and relatively long lived captives.
I think that when you say yours didn`t do too well you should have said YOU didn`t do too well with them, but hopefully if you do decide to get one this time you will (for the dragon`s sake)! :2thumb:
I expect you've never had an animal die then?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
274 Posts
I expect you've never had an animal die then?
Who said anything about dying?? You stated "they" were "grumpy", I took that to mean they showed defensive behaviours among other things, quite possibly because you didn`t give them time to fully acclimate before you assumingly started force handling them, not to mention you haven't given details of the conditions you kept them under (will you do that)?
Yes, for your information I`ve had animals die on me, normally after a good number of years in my care. I did lose a very young female Asian water monitor after just a few weeks (2 years ago), but do not believe it was because I failed to offer supportive conditions (I did), it happens on occasion unfortunately.
Here`s another animal I kept for over 14 years, he died from a tumour in his throat (inoperable) a great loss and at no time in all those years would I ever describe him as "grumpy"!?

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Who said anything about dying?? You stated "they" were "grumpy", I took that to mean they showed defensive behaviours among other things, quite possibly because you didn`t give them time to fully acclimate before you assumingly started force handling them, not to mention you haven't given details of the conditions you kept them under (will you do that)?
Yes, for your information I`ve had animals die on me, normally after a good number of years in my care. I did lose a very young female Asian water monitor after just a few weeks (2 years ago), but do not believe it was because I failed to offer supportive conditions (I did), it happens on occasion unfortunately.
Here`s another animal I kept for over 14 years, he died from a tumour in his throat (inoperable) a great loss and at no time in all those years would I ever describe him as "grumpy"!?

Just wanted to say what a beautiful boy!
Sorry to hear that though. :(

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
He is a stunner! :2thumb: Really sad that you lost him.

I was aware that it wasn't me being quoted btw, it's just that the response given to the quote made no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've made an awful lot of assumptions and I find your attitude rather patronising. I started the thread for some personal experiences of keeping bearded dragons, not your comment on my keeping based on guesswork. I didn't say my animals were grumpy, or that they showed defensive behaviours, or that I force handled them or that they weren't acclimatised. I also Know I can trawl through caresheets and threads from the Internet. You've assumed all these things and then told me that You hope I do better with the next one for the dragon's sake. Well I hope you do better with your next Asian water Monitor, for the monitor's sake. Oooooh is that patronising? you shouldn't take it badly though because it's obviously meant constructively and with the best possible intention. If you had any information that was useful I wouldn't be interested in interacting with you because I find you so pompous. Please leave my thread, I'm sure your valuable insight will be needed elswhere. Good evening to you.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Sorry, you are correct (I misread it), I thought you said they were "grumpy" but you only asked if they were. I would still like to hear why yours didn`t do very well. Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
He is a stunner! :2thumb: Really sad that you lost him.

I was aware that it wasn't me being quoted btw, it's just that the response given to the quote made no sense to me.
Hi, it`s o.k, I didn`t understand the OP talking about animals dying, nor why he wanted to know whether Bearded dragons are "grumpy" because he had already kept them previously!?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, it`s o.k, I didn`t understand the OP talking about animals dying, nor why he wanted to know whether Bearded dragons are "grumpy" because he had already kept them previously!?
Regardless of that, I still find you pompous and I'd like you to vacate my thread.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Personally I find them boring and honestly, apart from the ease of keeping them, I can't see why they are so popular. There are so many more interesting species out there that are, for one reason or another, overlooked.

As for them being 'pets' I think that has been cleared up here and in Salazare's thread.

I have to agree with murrindindi when he said, "I think that when you say yours didn`t do too well you should have said YOU didn`t do too well with them", in the sense that it is, 99 times out of 100, our fault that these animals die in captivity. If we got their husbandry correct and left them alone a bit more then we wouldn't have half as many of the casualties as we do at the moment. You must have been doing something wrong or they were in a bad state before you got them.

Also this is a public forum so everyone does have the right to give their opinions whether the starter of a thread likes it or not. Otherwise we would never be able to have a proper discussion and you would only see what you wanted to, if you want that join one of the various facebook groups( I hear they are a barrel of laughs ).

Gavin.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.