Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Im aware that Royals wil "generally" spend most of there time in a hide during the day / evening and then become more active at night.
Is this the same with Corns ? or do they tend to be more active during Day / Eve.
Im nearly ready to purchase my first snake and will probably start with a corn but out of interest are there any other good beginners snakes that are more active than a royal ?
Reason I ask is that the missus will prob only let me and my son have one snake ( not one each ) so whilst I want something good as a beginners snake I dont want a snake that im not likely to see very often when its in the viv.
Thanks.

G

·
I have found that corns are at their most active at dusk and dawn.Some will be out and about during the day but they are mainly nocturnal.It is for this reason that most people tend to feed their snakes in the early evening rather than lunchtime

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
mine is more active during the evening, about two days before feeding he will get more active during the day.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Mine tend to be active when ever they want to be. Lol. They never seem to stick to a certain time of day. During the day i can find them roaming about. Or they just curl up .At the moment they're curled up, probably because i fed them a couple of hours ago.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I only see my corns wandering around the viv and basking at early hours of the day (say between 1 am and 5 am).

I would not know what goes on between 6 am - 12 noon, because I'm always in bed at this times.

In the afternoon till about 10 pm, I seldom see movement from any of my snakes other than my boas.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i agree, lots of corns don`t follow the norm for activity, but most do.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If you'd like a smaller snake that is more active during the day then maybe a Western Hognose might be nice. They are described as rear-fanged venomous but not dangerous unless you're allergic to bee/wasp stings etc. Even then you'd be pretty unlucky to get bit. My female is 3ft (the males are a LOT smaller) and she's the one of the sweetest, docile snakes I've had.

I think there is a hoggy breeder on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts