Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are meal worms ok for geckos only now and again
i have been told that they are ok now and again but also not to give them to them at all then have been told i can leave them in a small bowl in there viv but take all the dead ones out what are all peoples suggestions who have geckos please

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Are meal worms ok for geckos only now and again
i have been told that they are ok now and again but also not to give them to them at all then have been told i can leave them in a small bowl in there viv but take all the dead ones out what are all peoples suggestions who have geckos please
Looking at your picture i pressume you mean leopard geckos?

If so yes they are perfectly fine to be fed all the time.
We find mealworms 10 x better than crickets or hoppers, easier to gutload store and seem to make the geckos put weight on quicker!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I leave a bowl of mealies in the viv 24/7

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
No, just leave them to wriggle, if they stop the leos loose interest so I sprinkle them with feeder flakes to keep them going.

·
Registered
242 Posts
One of my Leos will only eat mealies, she loves them. She gets locusts too, but she rarely eats them, both my Leo vivs have mealies in all the time. One of my females will only eat Locusts.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
just out of intrest when feeding the mealies do you take the heads off before giving them to the leo?
no
that woudl be like giving me a burger, without the burger , just the bun... yuck

·
Registered
62 Posts
what do you gut load your meal worms with? I put a bit of potato and carrot in with mine but my gecks just totally ignored them, I have a 2 month old leo and am keep to get him interested in them - but have read they may be too hard for his mouth? Any thoughts /advice re this ?

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
mine get them from birth.

mine get fed cat dog buiscuits and any veg scraps from carrot to bread to cuecumber to apples etc etc

·
Registered
242 Posts
I find that oats and kale (for moisture) works best, I also feed my locusts kale. Oats are great for mealies tho and so easy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts