Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I last weighed my boys on the 8.5.08, then they were 144g for Georgie (Hermann) and Freddie (Marginated) 85g.

I weighed them again today and Georgie is 162g and Freddie 90g.

Are these weight gains ok, should they be less or a little more?

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
It's more than the recommended 2g - 4g weight gain a month especially for Georgie... 18g in under 3 weeks seems very high. Did you weigh them before a poo/pee or after eating this time and the previous time after a poo/pee? It can make quite a difference. Maybe you just have greedy torts ;) Try cutting down on the amount of weeds given and weigh them once a week. I always try to weigh mine in the evening after they've had a poo/pee in the bath... difficult to be able to weigh them accurately though isn't it because if they've had a good drink then it throws the weights out again.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
my vet once told me to avoid worrying about the odd weight being out of the expected range . he said its much better to plot weight gain on a graph and see the trend develop. up to a quarter of a torts weight can be taken up with water from drinking, poo and wee. so if a tort has suddenly lost alot of weight, its not necessarily a problem, you should weigh them again in a day or so. you do get the occasional "odd" weight but dont really worry until its a few irregular occasions. then it could signify a problem. for such small torts there poo can weigh quite alot.

my leos can pass a litre of water no worries, thats a kilo in weight! if they poo at the same time then that can be a huge weight loss if they havent eaten much that day. on the other hand if they have drunk and eaten alot and i weigh them before they have pooed, they can gain 1.5kg just from water, food and unpassed tortoise poo!

if the growth is even then dont worry too much. growth spurts in the summer is common, i let my leos choose how much natural graze they want to eat and reduce the weeds i offer them. then they have to walk and work for there lunch!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I cant remember last time but I think they were weighed after a bath.

This time they had been fed so maybe Georgie pigged out a little too much.

I only weighed them today as they are due to take a trip to the vets tomorrow for a check up and they said if I could give them an idea of their weight gain it would be good.

I will have to work out the best time to do them and remember to do them the same each time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree...dont worry too much about gains/lossess....mine put on a disgusting amount at this time of the year...then level off...then lose a little before hibernation........the two hermanns I can compare to I have had for 2 yrs now...and they have gorgeous shells, very smooth...for me the key factor is hydration and a not too dry habitat.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree...dont worry too much about gains/lossess....mine put on a disgusting amount at this time of the year...then level off...then lose a little before hibernation........the two hermanns I can compare to I have had for 2 yrs now...and they have gorgeous shells, very smooth...for me the key factor is hydration and a not too dry habitat.
Georgies shell isnt great, its a bit bumpy. He was like it when I got him though, his diet wasnt great before I got him, mainly spring greens, butternut squash and a bit of salad. Not sure that he got many weeds.

I'm trying to do my best to keep him and my other tort on weeds but my garden is a building site at the moment and out council are too good with keeping areas clear of weeds. Think Im gonna have to raid a friends garden cos she got plenty. Ive had my seeds through as well so I can get those going as soon as the weather clears, its disgusting again today.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay just being doing a weight check as I havent done one for a good few weeks.

Freddie is now 108gramms. This was before bath and food. Cant say if he had done a poo or pee either.

Charlie weighs a cute 57g. Havent weighed him before so this is just a starting weight.

Havent done Georgie yet as he was itching to get outside.

Im not too worried about whether their weights are right, this is just an easy place for me to keep them written down..:lol2:

Once I get my computer back I will use a proper system.

·
Registered
628 Posts
God mine have put on loads :whistling2:

When we got them on 22/12/07 Arthur (M) was 79g and Martha was 83g (not sure of one of MArthas sex for definate)

they've put on alot since then, will weigh them again later.

Is it possible for them to grow too fast ? Mine are always after food, and when they're outside how can i limit what they eat !

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
It's more than the recommended 2g - 4g weight gain a month especially for Georgie... 18g in under 3 weeks seems very high. Did you weigh them before a poo/pee or after eating this time and the previous time after a poo/pee? It can make quite a difference. Maybe you just have greedy torts ;) Try cutting down on the amount of weeds given and weigh them once a week. I always try to weigh mine in the evening after they've had a poo/pee in the bath... difficult to be able to weigh them accurately though isn't it because if they've had a good drink then it throws the weights out again.

I've always had my doubts about 'the 2 to 4 gram rule' - where is the science / 'proof' that it is the way forward? I've never managed to get my tortoises to comply with this 'rule' and to be frank have simply given up trying. I give them a pile of weeds in the late morning and some times the eat all of it and some times not very much.

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Pay no attention to the rate as long as the tortoise is active and healthy.

The rate is totally dependent on the environment, nutritional intake and personality.

some will grow quickly(not a bad thing) for various reasons and some will grow slowly.

There is no way anyone can state what is a good or bad rate of development.

Ed

Okay I last weighed my boys on the 8.5.08, then they were 144g for Georgie (Hermann) and Freddie (Marginated) 85g.

I weighed them again today and Georgie is 162g and Freddie 90g.

Are these weight gains ok, should they be less or a little more?

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I gave up with the 2g - 4g a month rule. My two 1 year olds put on about that much roughly but my 2 year old put on 8g in two weeks when I first got her. :eek:mg: She's slowed down now but has been renamed Pinky Pig :lol:

I'm sticking with the 'as long as they're active, eating and gaining weight' philosophy from now on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I never monitor weight gain unless there is an obvious delay in growth, I feed almost at lib a full weedy/flower diet and all my youngsters grow amazingly smooth

D

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Another (slightly anal:mf_dribble:) point is that if you take a newly hatched tortoise weighing say 16 grams and it grows at 4 grams per month it will be 496 grams by it's 10 birthday - obviously grossly underweight for a fully grown tortoise of the kind we generally keep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts