Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my male and female corn have been together about 4 days now , i havent seen them physically lock although theyve been lay next to one another a lot .

secondly the female keeps doin this weird jerky movement and almost dance like movement is this a positive sign??

im awqre they may be at it when im at work or asleep just wondered mainly about the dancy stuff :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
ok so my male and female corn have been together about 4 days now , i havent seen them physically lock although theyve been lay next to one another a lot .

secondly the female keeps doin this weird jerky movement and almost dance like movement is this a positive sign??

im awqre they may be at it when im at work or asleep just wondered mainly about the dancy stuff :)
hi there

1 if you havent phisicly seen them lock then look for the males sperm on the substraite

2 are you sure its a female as only males are ment to jerk when breeding

3 as i said in number 1 chek the substrait for sperm and its only ment to be males that jerk

hope this helps you a bit cheers john any other qs let me know.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers i wil check that out when i return home from work an the people i bought them off assured me they were sexed correctly an wud have no reason to lie , i'll look at gettin them re-probed myself for reassurance

·
Registered
538 Posts
glad to help get them re-probed by a reptile shop then ul know for sure i may be wronge but i breed corn snakes and have done for 5 years now and iv only seen my males jurk like this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my first year at breeding corns also, i have seen 2 of my corns lock up on several occasions.
The male seems to "sniff" the females body, then put his head ontop of her back and quite slowly moves his head towards hers, leaving his body ontop of hers until his head is over hers. The whole time he's doing this he does a sort of chugging motion (1st time i saw him chug up the body i was amazed that i have never seen clips of this, and thought it might be a bad sign).
Once in that position he will try and lock with the female, but as i have seen many times she will often move away last minute or move her tail away, and the process starts again. They will eventualy lock, not once have they let me down, although they can take a long time before starting.
After the lock is broken, there is always a yellowish substance (kind of looks like a wisked egg yolk) underneath, or atliest VERY close to where the lock took place, useualy within a couple of inches.
This is only my expierience, and could very well be diffrent for you, but i thought i would share my story incase it might help you.
Good luck with the breeding, and hope you post when the eggs are laid.
Jay

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im certain they are male and female and they are not both males or they would be fighting wouldnt they ? i havs een breedin like behaviour but no signs of this residue yet so fingers crossed eh , is it worth throwin another male in with them under a watchful eye to provoke some type of male rivalry to start them off then remove the male i dont plan to breed? any help would be great guys and much appreciated

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i've found evidence in the form of this yellowy gluey stuff you all talked about , SUCCESS :2thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts