Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask some advice. I am planning to hibernate my 08 & 09 hatchlings for the first time and am a bit confused whether they are underweight or not. I'm very nervous about hibernating them for the first time and just wanted some advice and to check I'm doing everything right. I will be using the fridge method, which has been switched on for a month and is at a constant temp of 5. I will be putting them in seperate containers full of soil and have stopped feeding them for about two weeks or so now planning to put them in fridge on xmas eve. Is it right I should hibernate them for 8 weeks? I've had a look at the Jackson ratio but am a bit baffled. I've also tried to calculate their BDR by length x length x length = A, weight ./. A = BDR

Ernie is the 09 hatchling. He weighs 78g and I measured the bottom of his caprice length wise as 7cm. His BDR I worked out as .22

Eric is an 08 hatchling. He weighs 87g and measures 8 1/2cm. BDR I worked out as .14

Napoleon is an 08 hatchling. He weighs 91g and measure 7cm. BDR I worked out a .26

I also have two 04 tortoises who have been hibernated since birth (I brought them in 09) and I hibernated last year in the fridge and I put in yesterday to begin hibernation. How long should I keep them in there is it 3 month? Also are their weights ok?

Batpig weighs 142g and is 8 1/2cm long. BDR .23

Troll weighs 190g and is 8 1/2cm long. BDR .30

I know this is alot to ask but I just want some reassurance I 'm doing everthing right. I'm sure alot of people on here can understand how nerve wracking it is to hibernate your hatchlings for the first time.
Thanks for reading this post.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Just checking if these tortoises were actually brought from a private breeder or a shop?
As shops dont always give out the correct paperwork with tortoises.
If they were brought from a private breeder, and you know the ages are correct then, provided they have eaten well over the Summer, and had no illnesses. Then if they were mine I would hibernate them for eight weeks. If they are ok and doing well, then another two weeks would be fine.
At anytime during hibernation, you are not happy with how it is going, then you can just get them up. Close monitoring is good experience for the future and your peace of mind:0)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ji
Eric is way underweight at 0.14 he should be at least 0.18.
Batpig and troll are fine for the 8 weeks.
To be honest I would not hibernate ernie or napolean they are very small. When hibernating torts should not lose more thna 10% body weight with one so small this is dicey. You have given them a cold time I would warm them and then put inot a nice warm bath nad they should start eating fine
Re the substrate newspaper or nothing is best. The fridge is at perfect temp.
Good Luck
Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask some advice. I am planning to hibernate my 08 & 09 hatchlings for the first time and am a bit confused whether they are underweight or not. I'm very nervous about hibernating them for the first time and just wanted some advice and to check I'm doing everything right. I will be using the fridge method, which has been switched on for a month and is at a constant temp of 5. I will be putting them in seperate containers full of soil and have stopped feeding them for about two weeks or so now planning to put them in fridge on xmas eve. Is it right I should hibernate them for 8 weeks? I've had a look at the Jackson ratio but am a bit baffled. I've also tried to calculate their BDR by length x length x length = A, weight ./. A = BDR

Ernie is the 09 hatchling. He weighs 78g and I measured the bottom of his caprice length wise as 7cm. His BDR I worked out as .22

Eric is an 08 hatchling. He weighs 87g and measures 8 1/2cm. BDR I worked out as .14

Napoleon is an 08 hatchling. He weighs 91g and measure 7cm. BDR I worked out a .26

I also have two 04 tortoises who have been hibernated since birth (I brought them in 09) and I hibernated last year in the fridge and I put in yesterday to begin hibernation. How long should I keep them in there is it 3 month? Also are their weights ok?

Batpig weighs 142g and is 8 1/2cm long. BDR .23

Troll weighs 190g and is 8 1/2cm long. BDR .30

I know this is alot to ask but I just want some reassurance I 'm doing everthing right. I'm sure alot of people on here can understand how nerve wracking it is to hibernate your hatchlings for the first time.
Thanks for reading this post.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
As has already be mentioned, your young ones are very underweight for their size. The 08 should be over twice that weight and compared with mine, they all seem very underweight. Have you weighed them correctly?

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
They are all brought from a private breeder. So I know the dates are correct.
Thats fine then:0) as they do seem quite small, but thats is what we aim for, and it does not happen very often. Which is a credit to you:0)
I dont when hibernating any of my tortoises, worry to much about weights, as long as they have been eating and lively through out the year. Both things need to be taken into concideration. As no two tortoises are the same, just like humans.
Only you know if they are healthy or not:0) and at the end of the day its your choice to hibernate or not. I dont belong to the "oh they are too small to hibernate group" If they are healthy and its normal for them to hibenate, then they do:0)
I have a three year old graeca who hatched small, so I never sold her, as I wont if I am unhappy about something with them. She now weighs 90grms, and has been hibernated for the last two years. If I took the advice she was too small she would never get hibernated. But she is healthy and eats like a horse, so she gets hibernated. She would in the wild.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
there is a difference between small and underweight. That tortoise with a ratio of 0.14 is underweight by a long way and quite likely to not make it through hibernation not a risk I would recommend to anyone.
After all hibernation is only what they do in the wild to get them through the cold period if it not cold they do not need to nor do they hibernate.
I hope all goes well for you dragongirl.
Thats fine then:0) as they do seem quite small, but thats is what we aim for, and it does not happen very often. Which is a credit to you:0)
I dont when hibernating any of my tortoises, worry to much about weights, as long as they have been eating and lively through out the year. Both things need to be taken into concideration. As no two tortoises are the same, just like humans.
Only you know if they are healthy or not:0) and at the end of the day its your choice to hibernate or not. I dont belong to the "oh they are too small to hibernate group" If they are healthy and its normal for them to hibenate, then they do:0)
I have a three year old graeca who hatched small, so I never sold her, as I wont if I am unhappy about something with them. She now weighs 90grms, and has been hibernated for the last two years. If I took the advice she was too small she would never get hibernated. But she is healthy and eats like a horse, so she gets hibernated. She would in the wild.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Just checking if these tortoises were actually brought from a private breeder or a shop?
As shops dont always give out the correct paperwork with tortoises.
As do some private breeders, in fact I've had so many people that have bought privately with little or no information from the breeder, I've lost count.

Dunno why you always have to knock shops?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ratio is 0.21 whcih is fine. You work this out by dividing the weight in grams by the length in cms 3 times. The figure should be between 0.18 and 0.24.
How do you work the BDR out? im a bit worried about my herman too. I just looked at a jacksons graph. My tortoise is 83mm and is 120g. The jacksons graph looks like it should be between 170 - 200g. Is this right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts