Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep ball pythons are considered a good starter snake, there relatively small , docile, and generally, dont have feeding problems

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
well they are quite fussy but otherwise they are great, they dont take up too much space but they can stress you out if they decide not to eat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
they are great for a first snake, but can be hard to get to eat, but if you have the right husbandry and get it from a breeder you shouldn't have any trouble. they are very friendly and rarely strike. they don't get very big (male usually get 3-4ft and females 4-5ft, some will reach 6ft).

in my opinon they are the best snake, and if you want to splash the cash there a hundreds of morphs avalible.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive seen one but relised it in chesterfeild which is to far from me ops never mind i dont no if to get a corn snake ratsnake or royal

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
I have a corn snake, i got him 5 years ago I found him easy to care for, although i would say that the royal are more intresting and a little bit more of a challenge.Corn snake are good as there are a wider variety of morphs at generaly lower prices than royals but i would probobally get a royal.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Royals are great, but we are having trouble getting our female to feed and it can be stressfull. Apart from that they are very easy to keep, great temprement and a lovely looking snake.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i read you your thread i hope she eats well soon got to say put me of a royal a bit i panic over anything i be dreadfull if i couldnt get it to eat

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well there are 4 options really, a royal, a corn, a rat and a king.

Royals are sometimes hard to feed or get feeding and are nocturnal. Won't see much of them.

Corns are quick when young, but are good feeders and are easier to look after.

Rats Im getting one next week and it seems basic care like a corn.

Kings can be a bit more aggresive but are my favourites.. strangely :lol: :lol: Generally very good feeders too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i nearly got a barids rat snake but got let down :( which i fell in love with soon as i looked at it lol
i got to say i think i wont go for a python are corns small
??

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just tried again tonight, put it in a hide with her, warmed the head, but she seems scared of it :( . I think I may have to take her vets, Ive found mites on her too, this wouldnt help with her feeding. But on the positive said, my males great, very inquisitive, friendly, loves to come sit in my hair and watch whats going on and eats like pig.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Corns grow to about 5ft but are quite slender.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Whether or not royals are a good starter snake depends on the individual one that you end up with - some are great, some are your worst nightmare.

I'd always recommend a corn as a first snake to learn the basics with, then maybe get a royal when you've got a bit of experience.
When you get your first snake you'll be wanting to handle it - generally no problem with a corn but recipe for disaster with some royals.

If you do go for a royal try to get one that's been captive bred in the UK, and not a CF (captive farmed) which will have been imported.

If you do end up with a difficult feeder it can be pretty stressful, but there are ways around it - there's loads of people around who've had this problem and can give good advice, but find out as much as you can about them before you make your decision.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
royals are ideal starter snakes. just make sure you give it plenty of hides. A baby would eat one small mouse a week. feeding can be hard sometimes but this is usually due to stress. the only problems i had with feeding were due to me moving my tv closer to the tank. vibrations stressed him out. get a viv that holds heat well (not a glass tank) a heat mat and mat stat thermostat are fine while the snake is in a small viv. you may want to get a ceramic heater as it gets bigger. the other thing is, a royal will feel happier in a smaller rather than bigger viv. it does seem strange for a beginner as you'd think the more space they have the better but a royal only needs a 2 foot cage as a baby and it may only need a 2 x 2 as an adult. go for a royal as although i love my corn snake you can quickly think you want something more exotic
maybe think about spotted or childrens pythons. i also know someone who has had no problems having a jungle carpet python for his first snake. grow a bit bigger 6 to 7 feet

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I say Ratsnakes all the way....But Im biased. :lol:

My first snake was a Taiwan Beauty Snake, and in all honesty, she was the easiest snake that I have ever kept. Fanastic feeder, not overly aggressive, but I dont like my snakes Tame anyways.....So thats probably why I keep going for notoriously aggressive snakes.....:?

But a royal is an ok starter snake. Its just if you pick a bad one it can be the worst thing you can ever do. It could get to the stage where it needs force feeding and thats not nice....:( But on the other hand you could get the best feeder in the world. All the royals I have ever had have been fine. I have only ever had one non feeder and that was because he was an adult and brumating, then it was breeding season and he wasnt interested in food. He went for about 9 months without loosing hardly any weight.

Id say a colubrid would be your best bet, corn, king, or rat it doesnt matter, you can get good and bad in all species. Just go for something that is realistic and you like. Simple as!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thing was as i think one has said that wen u start then u want to try something on the next level i want a couple of snakes can u keep 2 together i was also woundering dose a viv need to longer rather then higher ? because i was going to rehome my fishs and build this into aviv

or could i convert a wardrobe in to a viv ?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wen i said to the next level i mean from like a corn snake up and i no my husband would rather me sell the tank lol but i want a viv so i said if poss id comprimise and see if it poss 4 one like the size of wardrobe instead

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I wouldnt use a fishtank. The ventilation isnt right and they can heat up too quickly. I would use a wardrobe. it is really best to not house any snakes together to monitor them better. Otherwise you dont know what is wrong when something happens.. like a regurge.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was going to take the fish tank out and use the cabnet but do it up put vents in and stuff would i get to vivs out of that tank ,do you think maybe one next to the other or still think turn wardrobe into a viv , do snakes climb ?? the other idea i had was that i have got a computer desk with doors on which i dont use no more bit like a wardrobe if you no what i mean lol
and turn that into a viv wat yer think lol
sorry hope it all makes sence lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts