Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weve recently got a couple of jungle corns; a nice couple about 3 month old black+white check and yellow + black check.
i'm just checking you keep them the same as normal corns, ie temps and humidity.
also is it likely they or their offspring would be infertile? i read theres a chance they could be (if bred together) so IF in years to come, would you be better off breeding them with normal corns or are the jungles i have likely to be infertile/sterile themselves.
if you can work this one out( :lol: ) any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well they are a hybrid so there is a possibility they can be infertile.. corn care is similar to king care anyway.. kings just have a slighty higher temp with me..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
hi

Hi ya

Just keep them as you would corns, and you shouldnt have any probs.

as for any infertility, you can expect viable eggs just as you would with any colubrid.

breed the sibs together or out breed them it doesnt matter, the viability is just the same if not better than any pure type colubrid.

Paul.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Do some of them not suffer infertility then? If not.. why??

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Yeah basically why would they be as sterile as a pure colubrid? Its just that with everything Ive read it confuses me.. actually everything is confusing me today... its going to be one of those days :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi

Originally the offspring from hybrid pairings or even hybrid to pure pairings were thought to be steril, please remember that hybridizing has been going on for many years and most of what has been done has been kept in secrecy.

their are not many papers on hybrid reptiles so when say you do a search for hybrids on the net you really hardly get anything, only a few breeders that are hybridizing and not much info. you need to ask the people involved.

most of the info you do get from the net is from people that have only heard that hybrids are sterile ( you know the old wives tales type of stuff ).

its only been recent years that hybrids have become more mainstream and more info is availible, to those that have an interest and are not afraid to ask the breeders involved.

Anyway its been proven over and over and over that hybrids are far from sterile and more to this that most hybrids carry what we call Hybrid Vigor (The Best of the genetics from both parents) and it normaly results in better feeding responce , faster and larger growth , and larger egg yeilds, and in most cases brighter colours.

Of course their is the opposite to this as well, Just as you would get from Pure snake matings, you know those eggs that dont make it, or the baby or two that wont feed properly, or the rare clutch of sluggs.

In fact iv noticed many breeders of pure snakes having lots of problems with infertile eggs over the last few years. thats got to be to many generations of inbreeding for the morphs.

Paul.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts