Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've always wondered as I've read different caresheets and read peoples advice to others over the years, are we too fussy about the temps in our snakes vivs?
Yes surely there's a certain range the temps must be in, but some people think that eg the basking spot MUST be 95, the ambeint MUST be 85 and the temps must not NEVER drop below 75!
Just interested to hear peoples views on this.
Few pointers - out in the wild temps go up and down all the time through out the year, going over 95 and dropping below 65!
- peoples snakes go missing all the time in this country only to turn up months later in perfect health!

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Something I've always wondered as I've read different caresheets and read peoples advice to others over the years, are we too fussy about the temps in our snakes vivs?
Yes surely there's a certain range the temps must be in, but some people think that eg the basking spot MUST be 95, the ambeint MUST be 85 and the temps must not NEVER drop below 75!
Few pointers - out in the wild temps go up and down all the time through out the year, going over 95 and dropping below 65!
- peoples snakes go missing all the time in this country only to turn up months later in perfect health!
Few pointers - out in the wild snakes can find shelters, to get out of the heat, and to escape the cold. In a viv they can't.

Some species will tolerate quite a range of temps, other won't.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
This depends entirely on which area of the world you are referring to, and which species has gone missing for months...

North american snakes like corns or bull snakes may be able to manage fluctuations well because north america has a broad temperature range.

However something like boiga species or GTPs would not do well in unstable conditions, as the areas of the world they come from are more consistent. I think.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
You've got to bear in mind that some snakes are in fact tropical and can not tolerate too lower temps for too long. You have your corn snakes and king snakes etc that can handle temp drops, because of the area in which they originate. The temperature ranges mentioned for snakes are in place, for each type of snake, are for their preferred optimum zones for health, in order that their immune systems can function correctly and so that the animal doesn't get unnecessarily stressed. Stress is a major cause of RI. Too hot can cause stress and that can induce RI, along with neuro issues, and too cold for too long can cause RI's.

The significance with 75f is that this is the minimum temperature needed to digest food, therefore if your snake has food in it's belly, in order to prevent it regurging, it should be kept above this temp.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Few pointers - out in the wild snakes can find shelters, to get out of the heat, and to escape the cold. In a viv they can't.

Some species will tolerate quite a range of temps, other won't.

I agree - a controlled environment must be controlled. If something is'nt right, be it a few degrees temp, a lighting issue or a rock that is offending them there is nothing they can do in their little enclosures.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Most species, even tropical ones can tolarate a wide spectrum of temps... However, in captivity, we maintain certain temps to keep our collection thriving...

Also with proper steady temps in captivity, snakes can grow faster, mature quicker, and produce better than they do in the wild where temps can fluctuate dramatically...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
But also as mentioned above - some of the species popular to us are hardier than we think! I have been guilty in the past when I've started flapping after moving vivs around and the ambient air temp drops by like 2°C!!:lol2:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All fair points, and don't get me wrong I do beleive that our snakes should be kept in controlled conditions and I also understand the risks if we don't but I just feel some people can get carried away with getting the exact temps, will a basking spot of 85 really make that much difference to 90? Or the cool end being 75 instead of 83?? etc etc

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
All fair points, and don't get me wrong I do beleive that our snakes should be kept in controlled conditions and I also understand the risks if we don't but I just feel some people can get carried away with getting the exact temps, will a basking spot of 85 really make that much difference to 90? Or the cool end being 75 instead of 83?? etc etc
try it and let us know how you get on : victory:

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
TBH except for my GTP and my carpet all the others get just a hotspot, the cool end and ambient temps I do not worry about so much, if my cool ends dropped below 18-20*c I would be concerned but apart from that I just leave the snakes regulate their own temps. My hot spot temps are all kept spot on though.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
will a basking spot of 85 really make that much difference to 90? Or the cool end being 75 instead of 83?? etc etc
Actually yes, it can make a huge difference in feeding behavior... 5 to 10 degrees can mean the difference between your snake eating regularly or going off feed... A reptiles core temperature also control their metabolic rates and digestion... If a snake has a hotspot of only 85 degrees, it will take longer to get its core temp high enough for its digestive and metabolic system to run at proper levels...

So yes, basking temps and ambient temps do make that much difference...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The way I look at is, if our body temp is 5 degrees more than optimum chances are we would be in a coma, 6 degrees we'd possibly be brain damaged, or even dead.

Same principal for snakes, well at least I think it is relative, I may be wrong.

EDIT, and on the flip side, too cool could be the snake constantly into breeding mode, so too speak.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
The way I look at is, if our body temp is 5 degrees more than optimum chances are we would be in a coma, 6 degrees we'd possibly be brain damaged, or even dead.

Same principal for snakes, well at least I think it is relative, I may be wrong.
but you are talking about core temps not air temps, you won't go into a coma if its 5 degrees warmer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
from experience it's like with tropical fish (my expertease area :Na_Na_Na_Na:) when i started keeping them temp was critical to breeding etc and i found i bought all kinds of lotions potions etc but as the years have gone (along with the hair) i find common sense prevails now maybe if you want them to breed etc then conditions need to be exact but as long as you dont fluctuate too much (do that more after sprouts at my age) you should be ok and the other thing is rapid drops or rises

just my thoughts : victory:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

EDIT, and on the flip side, too cool could be the snake constantly into breeding mode, so too speak.
Disagree with that, can't really compare ourselves to snakes as we are warm blooded, as humans we can live in conditions +\- 35c

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Actually yes, it can make a huge difference in feeding behavior... 5 to 10 degrees can mean the difference between your snake eating regularly or going off feed... A reptiles core temperature also control their metabolic rates and digestion... If a snake has a hotspot of only 85 degrees, it will take longer to get its core temp high enough for its digestive and metabolic system to run at proper levels...

So yes, basking temps and ambient temps do make that much difference...
what he said

these temps were not dreamt up over night, they are from the trials and errors of the pioneers of reptile keeping, over years and decades.

That doesn't mean that every single boas constrictor is going to want the exact same temps. I set mine to low-mid 90's hot end 80*ish cool end then observe where they spend most of their time. If they spend most of it in the cool end, basking occasionaly then I take thats pretty much spot on. If they spend most of their time in the hot end I up the temps, if I never see them basking I drop the temps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
but you are talking about core temps not air temps, you won't go into a coma if its 5 degrees warmer tomorrow.
So snakes don't have core temps then??

What about star gazing??

EDIT so if I keep a royal at 101 degrees its core temp will not rise into a danger zone.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
For some species i would say yes. Retics for example i hear retics MUST have a hotspot of 95..This is rubbish retics could live at temps as love as 75-80f. a lot of people worry too much and think they must be spot on but if you look in the wild some species spend most of there time in cold damp places.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts