Votes: 63 73.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many users on here are members of the tortoise trust. Im thinking of joining myself.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
No not a member now i was for two years and recieved nothing. I know one person who paid her money etc and when asked where her newsletter was, she was told she wasnt a member.
Its personal choice if you want to join. But i wont be parting with my money again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone thinking of joining to pick up information on the care of tortoises, would be better advised to just stick to this forum.

A much better class of people. :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i joined as i was hoping to take on another leopard tort for company for mine,i have paid and had a newsletter but have been advised to take the tortoise care course at £35 as this will make them more likely to rehome a tort to me,i think i may have wasted my £15 but maybe not?

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
i joined as i was hoping to take on another leopard tort for company for mine,i have paid and had a newsletter but have been advised to take the tortoise care course at £35 as this will make them more likely to rehome a tort to me,i think i may have wasted my £15 but maybe not?
Why have you been advised to take the care course? Do they not think you have the knowledge to care for a tortoise as it is.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Im a member and have not don the TT course but have a leopard of them.I think any group who helps torts and helps educate owners should be given support. I do get my news letters but if i dident i would still be a member as its not about wot i get its about supporting the trust and the work they do: victory:

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I think we should start charging on Shelled Warriors lol
But yes they do have some good advise on tortoise care.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Im a member and have not don the TT course but have a leopard of them.I think any group who helps torts and helps educate owners should be given support. I do get my news letters but if i dident i would still be a member as its not about wot i get its about supporting the trust and the work they do: victory:
i wasn`t making out i wanted something for nothing,i was just stating that on the form it does say they prefer you take the course as they are more likely to rehome to people that do.i would quite happily pay them a donation for a leopard or if i had to travel a distance to get one from them, i would happily deliver to other homes if needed to help them out.: victory:

·
Registered
199 Posts
i was a member for a few years but i never got any newsletters and then they couldnt find me as a member after paying my subscription so im afraid iv not renewed in a while....having said that i think i get all the info id need from on here

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why have you been advised to take the care course? Do they not think you have the knowledge to care for a tortoise as it is.
not sure to be honest,but i know that i done a lot of research before i bought my leopard to make sure i knew what i was doing.maybe its for people that dont have a clue??there are quite a few of them :whistling2:.i`m no expert but what i dont know i find on the net easily so job done!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi
I dont think its about how much you have to pay to be a member And what you get by being a member .
Its knowing that you are helping Lots of torts and owners get help support and Vets care
:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
i wasn`t making out i wanted something for nothing,i was just stating that on the form it does say they prefer you take the course as they are more likely to rehome to people that do.i would quite happily pay them a donation for a leopard or if i had to travel a distance to get one from them, i would happily deliver to other homes if needed to help them out.: victory:
Sorry i wasent saying you did im bunged up with flu so not explaining myself:lol2: I was just telling you that you can still get your leo of TT just keep in touch with them and respond when one comes up: victory: As for the rest of my post im just saying to those that go on about the newsletter i do get mine the problems with them being sent seem to have been dealt with but id still be a meber without them as the help they give and the torts they save means so much more

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I think we should start charging on Shelled Warriors lol
But yes they do have some good advise on tortoise care.
Why? The level of advice given on SW is nowhere near the quality of the information given out on the TT.

I am a member of the TT, even if I got nothing, I would still pay, as I think the advice you receive from Andy and Nadine is worth the money alone. Plus, supporting the TT is a big bonus.

·
Registered
25,693 Posts
I am a member of the TT. I do think that even if people have differences of opinion with the TT they cannot doubt that the TT fills a void with rescue & rehoming, and offering medical treatment to the tortoises they have. I always read the newsletter, and have considered doing the course, although not done it yet - mostly because of time, not money. Sometimes I don't always agree with the content of the newsletter but I'm not a member to agree with them, mostly to just support the treatment work they do.

At the end of the day there are few successfull organisations for herps out there, and tortoises are under supported. I am also a member of the FBH, IHS, BTS, etc. and will try to do my best to support any groups who are ultimately there to promote the health & welfare of reptiles.

I don't see it at all as paying or the advice of the TT. I would like to think they give their advice freely regardless of whether a member! I see it as supporting a reptile society, and therefore supporting our reptiles :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am a member of the TT. I do think that even if people have differences of opinion with the TT they cannot doubt that the TT fills a void with rescue & rehoming, and offering medical treatment to the tortoises they have. I always read the newsletter, and have considered doing the course, although not done it yet - mostly because of time, not money. Sometimes I don't always agree with the content of the newsletter but I'm not a member to agree with them, mostly to just support the treatment work they do.

At the end of the day there are few successfull organisations for herps out there, and tortoises are under supported. I am also a member of the FBH, IHS, BTS, etc. and will try to do my best to support any groups who are ultimately there to promote the health & welfare of reptiles.

I don't see it at all as paying or the advice of the TT. I would like to think they give their advice freely regardless of whether a member! I see it as supporting a reptile society, and therefore supporting our reptiles :)
Thats wot i was trying to say:2thumb:

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.