Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i brought a argentinian horned frog about 2 weeks ago. Ever since i brought him he hasnt eaten anything at all. At first i thought he might have gone into hibernation. I'm struggling to keep his viv warm and wet. The red lamp seems to be drying out his tank every few hours but i need to keep this on to keep him warm!! Yesterday i cleaned out his viv and today he has unburied himself which i take to mean if he was in hibernation he has come out of it? but i still cant get him to eat!! any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could try using a heat mat on one side of the viv (not on the bottom, as they burrow to escape heat). As this would not dry the viv out so quickly.

The drops in temperature are quite likely the cause of your frogs lack of appetite. But he/she may also be still getting used to their new surroundings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already have a heat mat but i am using it underneath only cos i didnt know any different lol! i have to use the lamp aswell though for some reason the heat mat only warms the tank to about 20 degrees. im just getting worried now i think maybe my heat mat isnt powerful enough?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi mate you need to post this on the amphibian section. What I do know is if you heat from above with bulb or ceramic you WILL dry out the viv. You say you use a heat mat is it statted and how is it statted.

I would say him digging in is that he is doing what he would do in the wild but also with the mat and heat source at the bottom he is trying to get warm.

What you trying to feed him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've posted on the amphibian section now mate im new to all this lol! its not statted it just plugs straight into the mains it came with a starter kit so i imagine its not very good quality? im trying to feed him waxworms and meal worms its pointless me buying crickets because they dont seem to last very long and i need something that keeps for a while until hes eating regularly!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi there :) I have a horned frog that doesn't eat much at all and one that eats a hell of a lot!

I have a basic heat mat on the inside of the tank, celotaped to the side. Is your heat mat on the inside of the glass? That should do the trick.

I learned that mealworms aren't good for these frogs as they have trouble digesting them (I think that was why), but wax worms, fruit beetle grubs and earthworms are fine. My frog LOVES locusts, but I think crickets are a bit too fast for him and run and hide too much. Locusts don't hide or run, so try those :)

Variety is best though, so you'll need to keep trying with the food wiggling I think!

Maybe find out what he was eating before you got him too? Give them a call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts