Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help on this, we have bought a breeding pair a while back we are pretty sure the female is gravid, so she will not eat, but the male too has not eaten now since we bought them, he is not losing weight which is good. also can anyone help me with care sheets for the argentinian rainbows as i cant find any specific or them!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i kept some of these last year/year before... but never really saw many care sheets on them.. i can tell you how i kept them though if that helps..

i kept them at what i call "standard" temps for snakes... housed them in a 2ft penine. hot spot no higher than 88f (i used a heat mat, placed outside and underneath) ambients of high 70's, which naturally dropped over night. the heated area was the same temp day and night. no artifical lighting, they just have natural lights

they had a large water bowl, which was about a 1/3 over the heat mat..

a moss box.. warm hides and cool hides.. substrate was orchid bark. i sprayed them maybe once a week..

the ones i had, were mated in september.. just before they came to me, both were non feeders... and both had come from a shop collection with severe mites. the female had only been bought about 3 weeks beforehand, from ebay. i left them totally alone for about 3-4 weeks, bar changing water, then offered them fresh killed fluffs.. both ate immediately..

the people who owned the male, got the female, and she went straight in with the male... 3 weeks later they were dumped on me to look after whilst they moved... 7 months later they were still with me! but anyway..

the female gave birth in about april i think (i knew i should have written it down) it was about an 8 month gap between first known mating, and birth. she ate throughout her pregnancy, but she was getting spoilt with small fat fluffs a lot of the time.. the male would sometimes not eat.. most of the time he was fine BUT i only fed him once every 3 weeks... i personally think offering adults food every 5-7 days makes them lazy and complacent.. almost like they cannot be bothered sometimes...

how are you keeping them at the moment? are they housed seperately? do you know when mating was seen taking place? what have you tried feed wise so far? where have you tried feeding, what time of day, what size and type of prey?

in the end, she had 6 lovely babies.. and then unfortuntely her wanker of an owner turned up one day and demanded her (and him) back. they gave me no food for them and the other 5 i had for 7 months, never came to see how they were doing, or even called to ask about them... makes you :sick: really..

atvar.. if you ever get bored of them, let me know! lovely little boas they are..

gravid female

some babies

N

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
if u want any advise, i would talk too this guy who runs a online shop.... www.battenreptiles.com he will help as i know him an he is a bit odd mind, but very helpful for advise

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that link comes up as not working..

N

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i kept some of these last year/year before... but never really saw many care sheets on them.. i can tell you how i kept them though if that helps..

i kept them at what i call "standard" temps for snakes... housed them in a 2ft penine. hot spot no higher than 88f (i used a heat mat, placed outside and underneath) ambients of high 70's, which naturally dropped over night. the heated area was the same temp day and night. no artifical lighting, they just have natural lights

they had a large water bowl, which was about a 1/3 over the heat mat..

a moss box.. warm hides and cool hides.. substrate was orchid bark. i sprayed them maybe once a week..

the ones i had, were mated in september.. just before they came to me, both were non feeders... and both had come from a shop collection with severe mites. the female had only been bought about 3 weeks beforehand, from ebay. i left them totally alone for about 3-4 weeks, bar changing water, then offered them fresh killed fluffs.. both ate immediately..

the people who owned the male, got the female, and she went straight in with the male... 3 weeks later they were dumped on me to look after whilst they moved... 7 months later they were still with me! but anyway..

the female gave birth in about april i think (i knew i should have written it down) it was about an 8 month gap between first known mating, and birth. she ate throughout her pregnancy, but she was getting spoilt with small fat fluffs a lot of the time.. the male would sometimes not eat.. most of the time he was fine BUT i only fed him once every 3 weeks... i personally think offering adults food every 5-7 days makes them lazy and complacent.. almost like they cannot be bothered sometimes...

how are you keeping them at the moment? are they housed seperately? do you know when mating was seen taking place? what have you tried feed wise so far? where have you tried feeding, what time of day, what size and type of prey?

in the end, she had 6 lovely babies.. and then unfortuntely her wanker of an owner turned up one day and demanded her (and him) back. they gave me no food for them and the other 5 i had for 7 months, never came to see how they were doing, or even called to ask about them... makes you :sick: really..

atvar.. if you ever get bored of them, let me know! lovely little boas they are..

They are being tried and various times ofthe day and night on medium to large mice. if you could pm me we can go through some oother options atm they are on newpaper with a humidity in the early 70s or late 60s.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
drop them back down to fluffs..

will pm

N

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
added you to msn.. always easier via msn than PM

N

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
many thanks for the advice on the dropping down to the fuzzy's!!!!! tried them both today on a fuzzy each was not optimistic as the snakes are 4 1/2 foot long each!!! so i thought a fuzzy was wayyy too small! though wot great advice! both of them stuck first time at the fuzzy! then in the same feed both later took a small mouse! any idea why i seem to need to start with small prey them move to a larger item?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been looking over this post again, the male of the pair has stopped feeding again, is it worth trying the smaller prey item again? wondering if this is a common trait with argies, or rainbow boas in general???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts